Night time gas ?

katinhouston
on 9/18/14 1:38 am - Houston, TX

I posted this on another thread but thought I would make my own thread to try to gain some insight....

I hear you with the night time gas. What is up with that???? I had my surgery on 9/3 so 2 weeks out for me. I don't know what to do about the gas in the evenings! It will be very difficult to go out for dinners, movies, out with friends if this continues. I am the same as you-it's not really a problem early in the day but starts about 4-6 and doesn't stop until bed time. Any vets out there have insight? Today I tried not taking my calcium chew to see if the sweetener in those were causing it. Nope. Tomorrow I will prob try a probiotic. I have tried simethicone and charcoal tablets but they don't seem to help. I don't drink milk, but since I am still on puréed foods I do have cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Do they usually cause gas if I am now lactose intolerant or only straight milk? Thanks for any insight!

Crazeru
on 9/18/14 4:56 am

You may want to try going a day or two without cottage cheese and yogurt.  Can you make up tuna or egg salad with lots of mayo, it's pretty soft.  All my chewable vitamins had sorbitol.  Any of the *itols gave me horrible gas/bloating and explosive diarrhea.  Took a few months to figure that one out.  Look for the petite calcium, need 3 for 600, but they are pretty small.

Also, I came out whey intolerant, I was already lactose intolerant.  Had to switch to eggwhite protein powders.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PattyL
on 9/18/14 6:26 am

For many people most of the gas just goes away over time as your system adapts.  But if you want to try stuff go ahead.  At least you will feel like you are doing something!  And there are some foods that will give you gas forever too.  You just have to figure out which ones.

katinhouston
on 9/18/14 6:55 am - Houston, TX

Up until 1 pm today I had only had my morning protein shake and my iron and chewable vitamin C. My stomach had already started to rumble and grumble something explosive so I decided to go check out my bottle of vitamin C. First ingredient - sorbitol. Kept looking b12, first ingredient -mannitol, kept looking. Bariatric advantage calcium chews first ingredient -polyglicitol (sp?) syrup.  So basically all day long I have been serving my digestive system sugar alcohols! Great.

All I can say is I hope that it's this easy and that solves the problem! It would be so nice not to spend the evening with a bottle of air freshener close by. And the last couple of days it hasn't just been gas, but very explosive diarrhea. So I guess my stomach/intestines were getting more and more irritated each day that I took them.

And btw-WTH??? Why, when so many people are so sensitive to them, would they put that crap in all of the supplements?

Sunshine16
on 9/18/14 9:46 pm

What kind of probiotic are you taking?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Valerie G.
on 9/21/14 10:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Collecting the 'tol's could be the culprit!  I was chewing sugar free gum like crazy and gave myself horrible gas from it.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

katinhouston
on 9/21/14 1:01 pm - Houston, TX

Yes!!! Since stopping all the "tols" the nighttime gas has almost disappeared!!! It was not normal gas-it was horrific, horrible smelly, very abundant gas!! And is was getting progressively worse each day until I developed explosive diarrhea along with it (sorry TMI-but the truth is the truth). My stomach hurt like someone had punched me multiple times for 2 days after stopping them!

I am almost gas free now. I have some here and there, but NOTHING like before and it does not knock you over with the smell!

I am so extremely thankful for finding the culprit. Even I couldn't stand it!

PeteA
on 9/19/14 4:06 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You might try Devrom. It works for some people but really early on it can be just tough as you figure out triggers.

Valerie G.
on 9/19/14 8:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I went for years with evening gas, knowing it was something I was eating in the afternoon but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.  If you have some normal items you're eating from whey protein, something with artificial sweeteners, dairy, onions etc., try eliminating your lunchtime favorites and start back one thing at a time.  

My triggers were whey protein (all of it), straight milk (other dairy was okay), onions and terriyaki sauce.  Once I figured that out, things got a lot quieter in the evenings.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

J G.
on 9/19/14 3:48 pm

Katin, sorry to tell you you've really got two problems to battle here.  One is that you're just newly out of surgery.  You're system will get better with time. 

And two is that you really have to test every single food to see what bothers you (and those can change over time.)  Your triggers may be different than others that you read about here.  But you  can be really suspicious of the ones that most everyone talks about.  I still have occasional days when I slip up and have to ask myself what the heck did I eat!  So don't worry, with some effort on your part, things will get a lot better.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 158 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 696 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views