Approaching a Year at Goal

Spencerella
on 7/28/14 3:32 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

After 9.5 months of strictly following my weight loss regime, I achieved my personal goal weight on July 31, 2013.  While the weight loss phase certainly wasn't easy, it was definitely straightforward. This is not the case with maintenance!  

Nevertheless, I approached it with the same degree of thought, planning and care that I approached the weight loss challenge and I'm so glad I did that. For me, the weight loss phase was all about learning the basics that I did not have in place in my life.  Lord knows I understood nutrition, but I didn't know how to apply it to what had become a lifelong pattern of disordered eating. 

For me, that included learning alternative ways to cope with scary feelings.  Instead of turning to food, I now have other ways to manage.  That's not to say that those other ways come to me naturally, but with some thought I can find other things to get me through the rough moments.  Many of my methods involve self soothing to deal with anxiety, and sometimes I find ways to distract myself.  Every now and then, I reach out to someone else for support, but that's still not my strong suit!!

What I know for sure is that while the 'food playground' gets a lot bigger in maintenance, it still has a strong fence around it that I count on to keep me in check.  I still eat my protein first, separate liquids from my meals and avoid liquid calories.  My only exception is about 3-4 glasses of wine per month.  The other rule I follow with only rare exception is to adhere to a daily calorie limit of 1500 calories.  I still record my food and often weigh and measure it to ensure my portion sizes don't creep up.  I weigh myself daily.   Collectively, these are the things that form my maintenance fence, which are pretty much the same things that formed my weight loss boundaries too. 

I continue to keep my protein levels high and add many of the extra calories I need to maintain my weight with extra fats. Yes, I eat more carbs too, but I'm leary of them still.  Occasionally, my brain 'lights up' from the extra carbs, so I am careful to curb that response early.  When that happens, I cut way back on the carbs for a few days until things settle down again.  This strategy has been one of the most helpful things I've learned and incorporated into my maintenance life.  My one true trigger food that I have to avoid is candy.  That is is such a small price to pay for all that WLS has given me.  I am very grateful to have established a set of practices that keep me in check while living life to the fullest at healthy and sustainable weight :)

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

stephanieplum
on 7/28/14 3:59 am
VSG on 06/27/12

You've done so well!!!  I'm so proud of you!!!  

August 15th will be my one year in maintenance although this summer, I've been in WL mode.  I'm in my range as of today, but will continue to get back to my comfortable weight!!!

Spencerella
on 7/28/14 4:10 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Thanks!  I guess I forgot the 'yay me' thing ;) 

I haven't had to return to weight loss mode yet, but clearly establishing my upper weight limit is something I've done too.  Inevitably, I will cross that line in time, but it doesn't scare me quite as much as it did before because it is so much easier to diet back down 2-3 pounds than it is for 20 or 30.  I know you've followed that same method and clearly it's working. It's been very helpful to share our trials and successes in the maintenance group too!

LINDA                 

BeginsToday
on 7/28/14 4:13 am

Linda,

Great hearing how well you are doing. Congratulations on your one year at goal! Thanks for sharing your method of maintenance, helpful for all.

Take Care,

Vera

Spencerella
on 7/28/14 4:19 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Aw thanks Vera :). I'm glad you're still hanging out here and on MFP. And maybe we will get the opportunity to meet again 

LINDA                 

Nmmsg
on 7/28/14 4:36 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Well said, Linda.  I also watch the first few pounds.  I weigh everyday and I think it keeps me honest.  Congratulations on keeping up.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Spencerella
on 7/28/14 4:54 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Yes Nancy - it's definitely those first few that we can deal with easily, so the scale is a great tool. The guidance it gives me is invaluable. You're doing a great job too :)

LINDA                 

Miss150
on 7/28/14 4:58 am

Linda- so well done; and by the way, thanks for the support and encouragement you've given me.  I'm about a month behind you in maintenance--can't think of one time in my life EVER that Ive been able to stay in the same weight range for a year, let alone below goal.  All of your strategies and practices are worth consideration--sound practice!  You and your bike ROCK!  Bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Spencerella
on 7/28/14 5:05 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

You've been one of my rocks in the maintenance group. I've learned a lot from you, and it's been so much fun to have you on my maintenance team! 

LINDA                 

Stacy_WLS
on 7/28/14 5:04 am

Congratulations!

It is so nice to hear from people who are successful and ahead of us.  I am either in maintenance or shortly there - I haven't decided yet.  Maintenance scares me a lot!  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active