old habits

happytoloose
on 8/22/14 2:20 pm

My best friend is a vascular surgeon, not barbaric, but seems to know ALOT about it. He tells me that my old binging on Sunday during the football games will cease.

Not only because I want to follow guidelines, but that it will be nearly impossible to even look at a chicken wing, let alone eat one.

He says the surgery does something to your brain, (via hormones) that makes things smell wrong, and helps you to avoid the craving.

Is he being straight with me , or pulling my leg?

frisco
on 8/22/14 3:42 pm

Ummmmm........ not my experience 

The sense of smell is commonly "altered" temporarily after surgery, but returns for most.

Not saying any leg pulling is going on.... just not my experience and I'm sure not the experience of most.

"For me"..... hunger has been dramatically reduced from the reduction of the hormone production of Ghrelin .... so they tell me.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Amy M.
on 8/22/14 4:32 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Everything that I can't eat still smells amazing to me.  My tastes and smells have not changed at all.  However, at over 3 weeks post op I'm just not hungry.  All the VSG is doing for me is giving me the restriction.  The rest is all about my willpower to avoid the wrong foods.

A. Kondrlik
on 8/22/14 9:30 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I can certainly do a "long binge'  that is one lasting all day smaller amounts constantly and lots of calories (or all vacation)

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

trinoc
on 8/22/14 10:58 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Not my experience.  Food and it's smells still holds strong appeal to me and it's taking therapy to work on that.  I do read some of that as an experience in bypass surgery.  Maybe he's not aware of difference of the two?  I mean, you're not changing anything but size of stomach so not sure why he thinks that would biochemically change anything.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

hollykim
on 8/23/14 5:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I just think he is misinformed,in other words,doesnt know what he is talking about. It certainly hasn't worked that way for me and I can eat 2 chicken wings with sauce.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/14 5:51 am

I think he's right .  I am revolted by most fatty foods , snack foods and especially sugary foods.  5 years post op 90 lbs lost 

Gwen M.
on 8/23/14 6:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Food still smells amazing to me.  It tastes awesome too.  But I don't have the same need to consume EVERYTHING that I used to have.  I'd imagine this is one of those things that varies from person to person.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

secretsleeves
on 8/24/14 6:56 am

I am nearly 3 weeks out and food smells great to me and it looks good too, I am just not hungry if that makes sense.

I am on pureed foods now and the first few bites are really good and then it's just boring. Hard to explain, but I'm not crazy hungry like before. I am awfully tired though and I am still a newbie compared to others on here. I was hungry during the two week liquid stage, but once I was able to eat puree I got very full very fast.

VSG on 8/6/2014

Ivi1214
on 8/24/14 1:33 pm - Miami Springs, Fl

Thank you, i am 6 days out and I am hungry. I have been reading for hours trying to find out if I am then sickest person around..... My nutritionist have me on clear liquids for 7 days.... I think its mental.

Your reply to the comment helped me... I can sleep better now...

Most Active