Anti-Depressants and Self-Esteem

Pamela M.
on 9/15/14 11:04 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Hi all. I had VSG on 8/25/14. Here's the deal. I took myself off of my anti-depressant when I got home from the hospital. Withdrawal was pretty difficult the first 7-10 days but now the withdrawal symptoms are gone. I am SO READY to shed this cocoon that I have lived in for the past 25 years. Antidepressants have always numbed me to the reality of my life and they have served to keep me frozen in dysfunctional relationships. I am SO HUNGRY to be me, all of me even if that shakes up those close to me. The excess weight was just another way of burying myself in unhappiness and as long as I was fat and sluggish, then I always had an excuse to stay stuck. Can anyone relate to these thoughts?  I am 59 years old and I just want to live an authentic life while I still have time 

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Member Services
on 9/15/14 11:25 am - Irvine, CA

We are with you all the way 

Pamela M.
on 9/15/14 11:30 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

thank you. That means a lot to me. 

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

AppleSpice251
on 9/15/14 12:07 pm, edited 9/15/14 12:08 pm

Good for you.  I am so happy for you.  You have come to the realization that you, yes you, are the star in the 'movie' that is your own life.  Have fun.  Enjoy yourself.    

Dreamingofbeaches
on 9/15/14 2:15 pm
with

I wish you the absolute best!  This is an amazing journey we are on.  Not to be a downer, but if you start to feel you are struggling you really should talk to the doctor about the medication again.  I know when I did my pre op psych evaluation, the evaluator said that they strongly recommend people stay on any anti depressants for a year post op because of all the huge changes and chemical/hormonal changes your body goes through post op.  I'm sorry you have been on a medication that make you feel numb to reality.  Their intent is to correct chemical imbalances so you feel normal, not numb.  Best wishes on a wonderful journey.

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views