Going on a Cruise

Amielea1975
on 9/15/14 12:02 pm
VSG on 12/11/13

I am super excited about cruising, but was hoping for some suggestions regarding staying on plan. Should I make special request prior to  the cruise, or will there be appropriate options all the time? I am nervous and haven't been able to get my last 6 pounds off!

weeziebeth
on 9/15/14 12:17 pm

There will pretty much always be appropriate options. The challenge will be in choosing appropriate over inappropriate and being mindful of portion control.  The sheer volume of food is overwhelming and is actually the one thing I don't care for with cruising-it is a festival of gluttony. However, there are tasty, appropriate foods to be had. I am not postop but have cruised frequently and cruised with people who have been successful with WLS-they do not seem to have any difficulty. 

jenorama
on 9/15/14 12:22 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh boy! I love cruising and I'm super-excited for you! My husband is a no-milk guy, so he always talks to the maitre'd before we even eat, so that's what I'd suggest. There will be plenty of options, but you might want to ask about smaller portions so you aren't tempted by more or feel bad about leaving food on the plate when you eat in the main dining room. 

The buffet should have a lot of good options, too. Cold cuts, cheese, carved meats, veggies. You can even make a plate and stow it in your fridge if you need a snack after your daily nap. 

Some shore excursions might include a lunch and it might be worth it to talk to the excursions desk to see about special meal arrangements so you don't end up with something that you just can't eat. Taking food off the ship, especially produce, is a no-no in foreign countries. 

Have a wonderful time!

Jen

Amielea1975
on 9/15/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 12/11/13

I think I will talk with them- thanks Jen!! I am so excited and really looking forward to a relaxing week. I am a super planner, especially with food. So being unable to plan is making me feel somewhat out of control. Can I bring nuts/ snacks on with me? As long as something's remain consistent I think I will be ok... Sure they would frown upon my food scale ;)

jenorama
on 9/15/14 11:12 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You can certainly bring snacks with you. I always bring nuts and jerky when I travel. I'm on a road trip in Canada right now and I brought nuts, jerky, granola bars and protein powder along. The only thing cruise lines won't let you bring on board is liquor. Lots of people will bring cases of their own soda and bottles of water. 

And if you want to bring your own food scale, go for it! Most of them are small enough to fit in a purse!  :D  Brush up on your visual portion sizes too. For example 3 oz of meat=deck of playing cards etc. 

You will have an awesome time and become addicted to cruising!

Jen

Kelly Jean
on 9/15/14 1:19 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Amielea I'm soooooooo jealous!!! Wish I was going my family loves causing we started 8 years ago and got hooked so far 9 times.... can't wait to go again when ya going and where????

No worries about finding stuff you can eat there will be plenty to choose from... I put a scoop of protein powder in 8 different baggies one for each cruise day and then just add the milk.... Also like said above the deli u can get cold  eggs bacon soup ...that's not a worry its all the other temptations ...  that's the worry be strong and don't give in all the time but remember it is your vacation.... so have a little fun... get up early and go to the gym or track ... and a nice walk on the beach and dancing and swimming ...you got this !!!

! Don't get on the scale as soon as you get home either because you will retain water wright!!!! 

But most of all have a great time!!! Again I'm jealous!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

cappy11448
on 9/15/14 7:47 pm

I've been on a cruise while in weight loss mode, and I found it easy to manage my eating.  I won't say I stayed on plan! (smile).  I was on a small ship - only about 500 people, and I suspect larger ships will have even more options.  On my ship, there was a buffet that always had dense proteins and veggies.  There was a pool-side grille that had wonderful kabobs -again dense protein and grilled veggies.  the formal dinners were the hardest because there was a long time between ordering and eating with only bread on the table.  At times I gave in and ate a dinner roll.  I'd also have a bite or two of desert but always after my protein and veggie, so it was never a large portion.  One day, I ate a light dinner so I could have a whole crème broule.  It was sooo good.  (smile) 

But I found that even with the cheating (and I did see the carb monster after eating the breads and deserts)  I walked so much that I didn't do much harm.  I did gain 10 pounds but it was mostly water weight because it came off quickly. 

Mostly, I tried to stay on plan until dinner, and then splurged little. I'd say enjoy your cruise.  We don't do these trips often, and if you get back on plan once you are home, you'll be fine in the long run.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jnllamas
on 9/16/14 1:37 pm

I am a post op 1 year sleeve and went on a cruise to Mexico this past May. I had no difficulties in staying on plan. The dining staff were wonderful when I requested no starches and 1/2 portions. I ate in the dining room and avoided the buffet. Best option was the Sushi restaurant, I could order Sashimi, which is the fish without the rice. I limited myself to one alcohol drink per day. Off the ship I was not as strict with myself just ordered from the appetizer menu instead of the full menu. And they don't charge you for water. Had a wonderful time and was easier than other trips I've done.

CincyWriterChick
on 9/16/14 1:39 pm
VSG on 06/20/14

We leave New Orleans Sunday for a 7 day cruise. I'm so looking forward to it. This is our second Carnival cruise, so I know what to expect as far as food goes. Last year there were plenty of dense proteins on the buffet and at dinner. I'm in weight loss mode, but I'm giving myself some wiggle room to enjoy myself. Just gonna avoid too many unplanned carbs. I already am planning on having a bite of desert each night, but only a bite. I'll pour water on the dessert after my first bite so I'm not temped to eat more. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

HW:260; SW:Consult 235, Day of Surgery 225; Doctor's GW:150; My GW: 135

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views