Any VSG vets out there?

krhanson0222
on 10/21/14 1:41 pm - MI

I'm 6 years out, and looking for some support from people that are 2+ years out, and/or have dealt with maintenance/regain. Nothing against newbies or pre-ops, I'm just at a totally different point. The vets forum is a ghost town. If you're hiding in the shadows, come out so we can support each other!

Quanita L.
on 10/21/14 9:28 pm, edited 10/21/14 9:28 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi, technically I'm a vet (8 years) but I am actually getting sleeved again in 3 weeks from today (currently on my  pre-op diet).  I have seen several long-ish post ops post recently, but I don't think they come on all the time, a lot specifically pop in and say they are not here often.

I have stretched out my original pouch significantly and have regained all my weight.  I think from memory of the vet posts I have seen, there are several who have maintained and a few who are struggling with small regains

I just lost the rest of this post.... and am really tired it's late here... I'm here if you need but there are 'better' vets too

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Hi there ... I had my VSG 4 years ago and and have regained all of my weight. My PCP (GP) suspects the weight gain is due in large part to 2 medications I've taken during this time which are known to cause weight gain. I believe my sleeve is stretched as well. I can just sense it. Are you having the same surgeon do your revision? What was your surgeon's attitude when you approached him/her for a revision? Thanks so much..  have been very down lately assuming my surgeon will blame me and refuse a revision. :(

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

Quanita L.
on 10/22/14 7:38 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi Lucy,  I went to two surgeons to talk about options and am being re-sleeved by my original surgeon.  I also spoke to a psychologist and my GP.  In my case, I am at fault it was not medication related.  My surgeons says he sees revision like you would a replaced knee or hip.  Some people do okay with one replacement but there are definitely people who need several replacements for whatever reason.  He was very up front about previous patients he has re-sleeved or converted to a by pass - and said some do extremely well, but he has had some gain after a re-sleeve, and he has had one patient who lost less than 10kg, I think he was as non-judgmental as possible but still was checking my attitude and my decision and re-inforcing the fact that (for me) I need to take responsibility because it is possible for me to gain again.

I asked my GP to give me a referral for both my previous surgeon and another one I had chosen at a different hospital and practise.  I was more concerned about either one of them trying to push me into surgery again if it was not really a viable option for long term success or trying to steer me without really discussing every possible option (including not having a revision at all) with me.  Yes they are surgeons and yes mostly they are serious a-type personalities but they are providing you a service, not the other way around.

Even if you were like me and stretched your sleeve due to behaviourial issues (not medication or other reasons), it could still be your surgeon's "fault" for not assessing your original motivations or mindset. 

I would approach your surgeon and discuss things - it's always better to expect the best outcome, sometimes if you expect bad service you get bad service.
Good Luck to you. PS I also found some good information in the revision board

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Valerie G.
on 10/21/14 9:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm a 9 year vet DSer, hanging out here just to share wisdom with living with a sleeve stomach.  I've regained 20 lbs, but I'm okay with it.  DS surgeons tell us to expect our sleeve to stretch (from the volume of an egg to the volume of a soda can) and regain is normal up to 25% of ewl, and that's with our added benefit of malabsorption.  It surprises me that surgeons who do the sleeve and not the DS don't give similar realistic expectations.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Maureen K.
on 10/22/14 1:04 am

Lol Hi there just came back myself I am 6 years out as well finding that I still have restriction but am managing to eat too many calories by making poor choices. I eat too many carbs too much sugar . It's easy to fall back into bad habits ugh - I have gained 10 lbs in the last year - I maintained at 137/139 for 5 years but this last year it jumped up to 144/146 I'm really scared that it's creeping back up I really need to kick it in the but weigh everyday and eat right 

glad to see another vet out there 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

summer24
on 10/22/14 2:39 am

Hi there, I'm a 6 1/2 year vet.  I have maintained and have struggled every now and then with a few pounds, but nothing major.  This past year, I gained about 8 pounds, but I finally lost them with a lot of effort.  I still do a lot of what got me to lose my weight- weigh myself daily, log my food, hit the gym.  I think we all know that maintenance is where the real work comes in! I find that once I fall off the wagon, getting back on is harder to do.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/14 3:46 am

Hi,

I'm technically not a vet at only just about 3 years out, but I have dealt with maintenance and regain. I've spent several months researching food issues - both physiological and psychological. Learned a great deal about how food works in our systems (leptin response, insulin response, fat storage, craving cycles, etc...). Long and short is that I'm learning to live a very reduced sugar-sugar free life. It is hard and I have stumbled and it's hard to get back on track sometimes. I figure this is for life and I'm in this for the long haul and it's not a straight, flat path, but one with hills and valleys and a few mountains to traverse. Is there any type of support you're seeking in particular?

frisco
on 10/22/14 4:28 am

So glad you all are chiming in..... I don't claim any kind of "vet" status (Apparently there is a governing body that determines vet status), I'm just a guy trying to learn as much as I can about this and stay in the same size Levis everyday.

I hope the people that claim the sleeve doesn't stretch will chime in and tell you that you haven't stretched your sleeve and that sleeve size and capacity doesn't matter..... just eat less....

Here is what I know to be true about the subjects:

The VSG is not a standardized procedure and can vary greatly. The famous pen photo that illustrates a bougie size comparison and some people come away with thinking/saying the difference is "minuscule".

My guess would be that these same people haven't been around long enough to read posts like the ones above.

Some people even say "Don't know my sleeve size and I don't care"...... I guess that's a strategy.....out of sight out of mind....

An effective approach to the VSG or any WLS for that matter is not really about the WL itself .... it's more about keeping the weight off that you have lost.

There are reasons why eventual sleeve capacity can range from 3oz. to 16+oz. that my friends is not a "minuscule" difference.

Sure, food choices makes a major difference also and plain and simple you have to eat right both in quantity and content..... period.

That said, a major component to the VSG is what???? "Restriction"....... and without the restriction what do you have??????

It's my observation that sleeves that are made very tight in the beginning retain much more restriction down the road when it's needed most ..... "in general"

The other major component to any WLS is the education and adaptation to a proper lifestyle that is synergistic to weight control/management.

Many people don't get this aftercare or point themselves in the right direction for the information.

So, are you "doomed"...... NO...... will you have to try harder...... probably yes......

Hope this helps...

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Leigh Anne Pereira
on 10/22/14 8:23 am - Marietta, GA
VSG on 07/02/15

I'd like to know more about bougies and sleeve size..I actually have no idea what a bougie is but I'm about to google it hehe..can you ask your surgeon for a more restrictive sleeve? How does that work? 

Thanks [:

I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views