My PCP just did a 360

okirishchik
on 10/30/14 6:39 am

I don't know how to start this as I have never posted my journey here. 

2 years ago my PCP wanted me to have surgery. I suffer from PCOS making the weight loss hard. Along with degenerative disc and osteoarthritis which make life and exercise painful. Then, I was not ready. I was scared and unsure. I also had insurance. I let fear take over and didn't have it done.

Now, I am not insured. Weight more and in more pain. I had some friends and know quite a few people who had surgery in Mexico just across the border and had wonderful results. So, I started doing research and getting finances in order. I was set to have surgery the first of December. 

Yesterday I went to see my PCP. I had not seen her since April and wanted to give her the blood tests I had done the other day and talk about some things with her. One of them was the surgery. 

Her nurse was ok. Her intern was awesome. Then she came in and treated me like nothing more than a fat piece of crap. She has never acted this way towards me before. I was shattered. Shocked. Angry and upset all at the same time. I kept trying to tell her all about the credientials the surgeon has (he even practices in the states from time to time) and the clinic. She didn't even give me a chance.

She told me she would not 'sign off' on the surgery. I told her that there was nothing to sign off on. They didn't need anything from her. I was telling her I was going because I wanted her to be my after care doctor because 3 months upon my return home I need blood work done. Well she basically told me she couldn't. That her and her another dr in the office discussed it before she came in and that she will not treat me unless I can find a surgeon here in town that will take me on as a patient in case something were to happen upon returning home. She didn't want to hear about the success rates, she didn't want to hear about the process. 

She told me "no surgeon will touch me" and "good luck finding one." And pretty much left me at that. I pretty much paid for a useless visit because she didn't even let me get out that I needed some different pain meds or anything.

She did tell me she lost weight recently at a weight loss clinic 30 minutes from me and pushed me to do that. She knows about my depression and ptsd issues. I can't mentally force myself to drive that far, alone. And this diet clinic wants you to come in almost daily for the first week or two. She didn't seem to care. 

I contacted the facility where I was going to have the surgery. She told me that this is common, especially with doctors 'up north' (I am in MI and found out about this facility from friends in OK where I used to live) and that she could have the surgeon call my PCP but she wasn't sure it would help. She also told me that NO ER would turn me away and that baiatrics surgeons work on other surgeons patients. She says I should not let me PCP scare me. And perhaps I should find a new PCP. 

I am devistated. I was just at the point where I was comfortable with having it done and now she has crushed me.

As someone who has to self pay, the dr here want $20k for a sleeve. In Mexi****alifornia) its only $6k. 

I'm beside myself and just not sure what to do.

Were any of you sleeved in Mexico and how did you handle it with your PCP?

DiaMon
on 10/30/14 7:11 am
VSG on 03/12/14

First off I want to congratulate you for taking steps to better your life and conditions... Secondly I had surgery in México. (Mexicali, around the price you just mentioned and in a wonderful hospital, where I can say is beyond better than any hospital I've been to in the states.) I did not tell my PCP or consulted them on this issue, I have bast experience with doctors here (my parents have had life changing surgeries) and I went on my own and had the surgery. Once I came back is when I went to my PCP to get some anti-acid meds and then mentioned what I had and where. Don't give them a chance to frisk you around, they are doctors, they in no way should shame you or your decisions, they are there to support not to force upon. Please keep considering having the surgery, when you come back then have a visit to a new PCP, I found out that legally a doc won't want to touch you 3 months after surgery, but emergency docs can and will. If you need blood work you can always go in and say you want a physical. I just had mine a few days ago, (that reminds me that I need to post about it)... Please don't let yourself down, there ARE people that care. I have lost more than 90 pounds and I keep in touch with my surgeon (friends on FB). I couldn't have made a better decision in my life.

Take care and hope you can overcome this. 

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Wildnwonderful
on 10/30/14 7:34 am

Please don't let her upset you or change your mind. It is your body, your money and your choice. She my have an opinion but, we all know what opinions are like.......

Anyway Just know a ER can never refuse you. You can request blood work with a PCP and I am sure everything will go smoothly. We have to have each others backs. This isn't easy for anyone under the best cir****tance.  Know that you are not alone and Congratulation on your decision to make yourself healthy.

susan88
on 10/30/14 7:38 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Hello,

I was sleeved in Mexico on 8/8.  Because of my high deductible there was no option to have my procedure done in the states. It would have cost me $10K min plus 6 months of appointments.

Once I decided on VSG as the best weight loss option for me there was no turning back and it didn't matter what my PCP said.  It was my decision.  I paid $4400 in TJ and am VERY happy with the process, procedure, and the results.  It was an amazing experience.  I didn't ask my PCP for permission, I just did it.  I wasn't sure how my US Drs would take to me going to Mexico so I simply made the personal decision to "do it!". Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Well, I just had my physical with my PCP this morning.  I was so nervous about telling him what I had done.  Was I pleasantly surprised!  He congratulated me on my weight loss so far.  He told me that he had several patients that had gone to Mexico with excellent results and asked me what tests that I wanted done.  We discussed vitamins and what labs he felt were necessary vs those that really weren't necessary at 3 months.  My blood pressure was down and a I was thrilled that it was 100/60!  

It sounds like your Dr was threatened by the fact that you need to leave the country for financial and personal reasons.  If your PCP doesn't support this then I suggest you find another one that will.  There are plenty of Drs that understand that financial considerations are important. 

Please don't be devastated.  Feel free to message me.

Best of luck to you.

poet_kelly
on 11/3/14 7:10 am - OH

So you went to Mexico and had surgery without arranging for follow up care in the US?  And the surgeon in Mexico was OK operating on you without any follow up arranged?  Um.... that sound irresponsible and unsafe to me. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

susan88
on 11/3/14 7:42 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

The only follow up that I was told that I needed was to have my PCP do blood work at 3 months.  You don't need to arrange blood work ahead of time. There was nothing unsafe about my care or my follow up.   I had an excellent surgeon in Mexico and my recovery was amazing.  My PCP is associated with a very good health care system and I didn't have any concerns about care if there were complications.  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/30/14 8:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sorry to nitpick, but what you mean is your PCP did a 180, not a 360 (360 is the number of degrees in a circle).

A 360 would mean that she returned to her original position.  A 180 means she reversed her original position.

I do hope you find a resolution.   

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 3:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

okirishchik
on 11/3/14 2:27 am

Wow, really?

Out of all that you decide to pick on me for something so trivial?

Did it occur to you that I have an MBA and I am actually fairly intelligent and that perhaps in my state of sadness I just misspoke? And yet you had to come here and be mean? Why? What do you get from that?

I'd love for you to show us just how perfect you are with everything in life.

I'm so glad I came here post. It makes me feel so freaking awesome. 

HelenT
on 11/3/14 6:27 am

I agree with you. That person's comment was rude.

I chose the VSG but my Dr recommended it due to my super high BMI! Was over 70.

I had my surgery on 1/13/14 and I've lost 130 lbs! No side effects. I've had a little indigestion but it's because

I ate too fast.

If you want to talk privately, PM me here on OH.

Smile, have a great day and forget about that other person's rude comment!

Helen

Edited to remove personal email address....

Most Active