Term Life Insurance- post sleeve

JustLikePluto
on 12/20/14 5:16 am

Anybody have any info about term life insurance -- post sleeve?  

I recently went through a layoff, and I needed to reacquire some term life insurance.  55, male, lost 110# in 7 months, no more sleep apnea, BP perfect,rest pulse down to 56,  etc.,(ie.e, much healthier)  but I was told it was harder to get new life insurance so soon ( < 1 year) after being sleeved.  I don't quite believe it.

I'm not expecting it to be same price as non-obese (I'm still BMI > 37)  but I wouldn't think it would be more difficult to underwrite or considerably more expensive.  Any help appreciated...David

Hislady
on 12/20/14 5:49 am - Vancouver, WA

In general it takes 5 yrs before you are considered "normal" again and qualify for regular rates. Actually you are lucky they will even consider giving you insurance before 5 yrs. Many wont even insure you until you are 5 yrs out with no regain.  It is more difficult to get because the insurance co is taking a chance that you won't have future complications or regain. They want to be fairly sure this is a lifestyle change and not just a surgical change, so they picked 5 yrs as "the" number. Get what you can while you can.

Mary Gee
on 12/20/14 5:39 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

If you just recently went thru the lay-off, you should be able to continue the coverage you had while employed.  When I left work on disability, I got a notice from the insurer I had through work advising me I could continue the same coverage at $X - no medical questionnaires or anything.  Foolishly, I didn't do it, and I regret it now.  Because besides my obesity, I learned a few months later that I have congestive heart failure.  Now I'm going to have to settle for one of those "guaranteed coverage" policies where there's really no coverage for the first two years except for the return of premiums paid - full payments don't kick in until you've been covered for two years.  And I'll only be able to afford minimum coverage.  Stupid me.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

mickeymantle
on 12/21/14 6:13 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is much more difficult to get insurance if you had your surgery in Mexico even though there are some great surgeons there

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active