64 oz yikes!

JessicaSATX
on 1/27/15 2:00 pm, edited 1/27/15 2:02 pm

Ok so finally got insurance approved and have my date. May 5th. Trying to start drinking 64 ounces of water but with work and everything (pharmacy tech always running around barely any breaks) it's hard.  Any advice? What happens if I don't get full amount in???? Before and esp after?

Sleeved May 4th, 2015  Follow My Journey On My Blog:)   http://jessicasvsgjourney.blogspot.com/

-Jessica

mickeymantle
on 1/27/15 2:28 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is the same amount everyone  is sup[pose to drink 8 cups 

if you don't drink most of it you will get dehydrated  and end up in the ER or worst , 

it gets easier after  a while when you will be able to drink a 20 oz bottle in like 30 minutes

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

JessicaSATX
on 1/27/15 3:07 pm

My co-worker suggested getting 2 of our brand's water bottles, together they equal 64 oz and mark a line for each hour to drink to that much... It was ok at first until things at work started getting busy and i forgot to drink. I tried setting alarm on phone but i kept missing it lol

Sleeved May 4th, 2015  Follow My Journey On My Blog:)   http://jessicasvsgjourney.blogspot.com/

-Jessica

frisco
on 1/27/15 3:40 pm

Dehydration is "the" most common post surgical complication.

Light headed, dizziness, passing out..... than in the hospital for IV fluids....

Pretty much not an option...

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jack Allen
on 1/27/15 9:18 pm - Leesburg, VA

Ive always had a hydration problem, never drank enough water. So then a friend said to go buy one of these and carry it everywhere:

http://store.nalgene.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26  they sell them at target. So I went to check them out.  A water bottle for $10??? I asked my friend and she said just buy it.  So I did.  The rest is history, I now drink 4 of these babies a day no problem. 128 oz a day.

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

Stacy_WLS
on 1/27/15 10:52 pm

Just do it.  Make it a priority.  You get your work done b/c it is a priority.  Eventually it will become second nature.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

wyo_sarah
on 1/27/15 11:30 pm

I've found that certain water bottles work better for me than others.  Apparently, I'm exceptionally lazy, because I don't drink enough if I have to unscrew a cap or lid.  I've been drinking from the 22.7 oz Smar****er bottles.  I just refill it at home.  But, the bottle has a flip top and the plastic is thin enough that I can squeeze it to get a good drink.  My point is, you are going to have to figure out what works best for you.  But, in the beginning it was really hard for me because I felt full all the time and it was really difficult to get in enough water.  I used a cup with measurements on it and told myself I had to drink 5 ounces an hour.  Good luck!

SATXVSG
on 1/27/15 11:41 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

For people with normal stomachs, you get a lot of water in the food. So if you don't make 64 oz, their food probably more than makes up the difference.   Once you are sleeved, you can longer rely on water in food.  

I think it was Grim who mentioned our high protein diet requires more water to keep the kidneys fpushed.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Tracy D.
on 1/28/15 12:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

64 oz. is the bare minimum.  As you get further out you'll need to strive for 80 oz. and 100 oz. if you are exercising.   There was a great post on here the other day about why WLS patients need extra water -- it's because of the excess protein.  If you get dehydrated you will get excess urea in your system and that can actually lead to kidney damage and failure.  Water washes this out.  

I have a very good friend who got RNY several years ago.  She reverted back to drinking diet soda and didn't stay up on her water.  She is now on kidney dialysis three times a week because she wrecked her kidneys.  She is only 58 years old :-(  

Drinking water is serious business.  What do I do?  I get up an hour earlier than I need to just so I can start drinking water.  I never go anywhere withou****er in my car/purse/hand.  I have a bottle on my desk next to the computer and drink constantly.  I easily get in 100-120 oz. a day.  But I definitely had to work up to that. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 1/28/15 1:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 27, 2015 at 10:00 PM Pacific Time, JessicaSATX wrote:

Ok so finally got insurance approved and have my date. May 5th. Trying to start drinking 64 ounces of water but with work and everything (pharmacy tech always running around barely any breaks) it's hard.  Any advice? What happens if I don't get full amount in???? Before and esp after?

best case scenario when not e

getting enough fluids,is kidney issues,and poor weight loss. You have to help flush the burned fat out. 

Worst case scenario,dehydration can be life threatening,so you can make your own conclusions. :)

Most Active