My poor husband is having a hard time first week postop

jenig0013
on 2/28/15 10:42 am

So my husband had his VSG on 2/24 and was discharged from the hospital on 2/27. He's not much of an online poster but he asked me to check in with this group for advice. His main problem right now is that he feels full constantly and having a hard time getting fluids in. He's also sleeping a lot and I need to wake him up to get in enough fluids. He's very discouraged and would love any support or suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

Beatriz
on 2/28/15 1:05 pm

I'm sorry he's having a hard time. Is he getting in at least 32 oz?  Everyone's body reacts differently. I had surgery on Monday and I'm dealing with insomnia! It hopefully will just get easier every day. 

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

AuntieH
on 2/28/15 1:26 pm
VSG on 11/20/13

I had trouble getting fluids in, too. It helped to try different temperatures. I couldn't drink cold beverages at first, but I did well with room temp or hot beverages. And sugar-free Popsicles went down really well. They were my saving grace for awhile. Edy's Outshine no-sugar-added Popsicles are quite good. Good luck! 

ElizaM
on 2/28/15 2:01 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I felt like I turned a corner after one week. The first week is definitely tough!

Getting in fluids is so important. It really has to be his number one priority. I second the suggestion for warm liquids. I really liked broth. That was the first thing I could keep down in the hospital. Water was too uncomfortable. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

midiva
on 2/28/15 2:12 pm - MD

I had my vsg on 2/23 an was released from the hospital on 2/25.  Each day I have more energy.  I also walk off and on all day long.  I think that walking gets the soreness, pain and anesthesia out of your system.  Use Popsicles (sugar free) to help you get ur fluids in.  

:

mickeymantle
on 2/28/15 3:34 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

jello counts  as liquid and sf pudding  is ok on full liquids , try tea decaf , crystel light , broth

his sleeve is swollen and it will take a few weeks to feel better

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MAchick
on 2/28/15 9:18 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Try fluids of different temps to see if they go down better. I loved warm broth, but the sodium isn't ok for everyone.

If he has to, set an alarm and sip, sip, sip!

tstowe
on 2/28/15 9:47 pm

Tell him to remember he still VERY early out...

Lots of people have trouble getting fluids in early (I did too).

I remember napping all the time the first week and a half or so. Think about it... you aren't eating anything but clear liquids... How much energy to you expect to have?

One other thing to remember... IT GETS BETTER!

Hang in there.

Valerie G.
on 2/28/15 9:58 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Feeling full is normal, but here's the thing.  He needs 64oz of fluids of any way, shape of form - starting the moment they removed the IV from his arm.  Dehydration comes hard and fast and brings with it fatigue, nausea, and later even kidney stones.  There is no question that it's hard - but it's achievable and it sucks.  The alternative is regular trips to the ER for an IV and that gets costly.

Try different flavors and temperatures to see what "doesn't suck".  Nothing will be particularly pleasurable.  Stick to sugar free and decaf liquids, but other than that, everything wet counts.  Try ice, try hot, try tepid koolaid with Splenda. 

I had a giant 64oz cup that I carried with me everywhere, knowing that was my goal for the day.  I took a drink before I did anything and another drink after I did it.  I made up drinking games to get the job done. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TeashaLorna
on 2/28/15 11:35 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Sip Sip Sip, it will get better. I made sure that sipped on things like protein shakes, watered down if need be I needed it to count, I could get so little in. The sugar free popsicles are a life saver as well. For me I could do cold, not warm and not hot. Almost three years later I still can't do warm, but I can do cold and hot. Remind him he will get better and it is ok to rest right now. He also needs to walk about every hour that way he will heal that much faster. Not a long distance even just for five minutes at a time. Also protein is your healing agent, make sure to get protein in. Good Luck!

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Most Active