Trying to get back on track

ruthie571
on 3/3/15 11:04 am

Hello everyone!  It has been forever since I have been here.  I have managed to let life get in my way of taking care of myself and my eating and have gained almost 40 pounds of the 120 I lost!  Wow, looks even worse when I actually read it! My surgery was May 17, 2011, almost 4 years ago!  So I logged back on here, the one website I found so much help from when I started my VSG journey.  
I am determined to get back "on the wagon" and do this right.  I don't know if there is anyone else out there reading this that knows where I'm coming from, but the cravings have returned, the hunger has returned, and my old habits have returned.  Sure I cannot hold as much as I used to before my surgery, but I am terrible about "grazing". 

My hope is that by sharing on here and getting support from others who know what its like that I can get my eating back under control.  Thanks for reading, and any advice/words of encouragement are welcome!!

hw:335, presw318, sw304, cw230          

WereYorkie
on 3/3/15 12:11 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Hi Ruthie! :)

Cravings are a hard, hard thing. They are part mental and part physical. One of my good friends who's 5 years out uses a dill pickle chip as a preventative measure. Seriously! The dill, salty taste shocks your taste buds cold and you can then think without craving. "Do I rrreally need that _____?" 

I works for me too! I need to lose 19 pounds as part of my pre-op and am down 8 pounds so far, but that doesn't stop my coffee addiction from rearing its' ugly head a couple of times a week! I use that pickle chip and think of all the money and calories I am saving by not going to Starbucks! 

Do you Low Carb?? I've heard that's the best plan for those who've had the WLS....

Good Luck! 

ruthie571
on 3/3/15 7:36 pm

I started back on the low Carb high protein yesterday.  One of my main problems is I work long hours in surgery and have a lot of trouble getting my water in.  I don't eat and drink at the same time so there have been times when I get off work that I haven't had a drink since on my way to work! 

Thanks for the pickle tip.  I will try that!  Good luck with your prop diet.  You can do this!  I do not regret doing the sleeve, just regret letting myself get this far in the wrong direction!

hw:335, presw318, sw304, cw230          

VSG on 06/12/13

love that pickle chip idea. Do you just carry some around with you during the day? How does it work for an on-the-go lifestyle?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Allison L.
on 3/3/15 11:11 pm - Berkeley, CA

The fact that you're back on the train is awesome. You got this!

jameas
on 3/4/15 11:57 pm

Back to the beginning for me, same story 12# for me feels like 40# o here we go, reboot sister, start the HONEST eval, very bite record no matter what, this is about being present right, be with the grea new you and stay fcused, you cn and you will, so I started back on my protein shake and PPI pill and my control for cravings after 2 days of no carbs, ll my confidence withh umility is back and I started to walk again as well, so I am 60 so my metabolism is so slow scary but anyway less carb ss calories and protein first make a plan write down the journey 

jameas
on 3/4/15 11:58 pm

Back to the beginning for me, same story 12# for me feels like 40# o here we go, reboot sister, start the HONEST eval, very bite record no matter what, this is about being present right, be with the grea new you and stay fcused, you cn and you will, so I started back on my protein shake and PPI pill and my control for cravings after 2 days of no carbs, ll my confidence withh umility is back and I started to walk again as well, so I am 60 so my metabolism is so slow scary but anyway less carb ss calories and protein first make a plan write down the journey 

SleevedLife
on 3/5/15 2:50 am

I am right there with you my friend!!

after much thought, prayer, and medical consult I am trying to get back on track.  I've just returned to my preop diet as a first step.  I plan to stay on this for a week and then reevaluate. 

Fyi my pre-op diet is 3 protein shakes a day plus unlimited fresh veggies (no potatoes or other high carb ones, though)

life got in my way too...  But I cannot go back to the misery I felt at 360 lbs.  I gotta turn this around now.

rejoining oh is a good step - it helps to keep your head in the game!!!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

LngRedRose
on 3/5/15 3:00 am

You are definitely NOT alone.  I am 7 years out.. gained back 60.  I am looking at revision but would love to get it off myself without more surgeries! :(

SleevedLife
on 3/5/15 3:10 am

What type of revision surgery are you considering?  (Re-sleeved/banded/convert to ds/rny)?

did you have any type of imaging test to see the current state of your sleeve?

sorry to be nosy... I just imagine another operation could be in my future too if I can't do this alone...

Most Active