Darn calcium.. Is it safe to take stool softener daily?

xray_girl
on 3/29/15 10:38 am

Sorry guys and gals - 💩 discussion ahead.. 

Years before my VSG I had my gallbladder out so I've had zero trouble going to the bathroom regularly.  That is before this calcium has taken over my life.  I've tried regular, petite, and liquid calcium and as soon as I take it - BAM- plugged up city.  Like,  not even funny haha I missed a day, no, the terrible bloated feel like I'm pregnant again constipation.  I've added benefiber, the calcium has mag citrate added,  and I drink plenty of water.  

I finally resorted to a laxative and now take stool softeners daily.  Will I have to do this forever?  It that even safe? Is there anything else I can try? 

Lionetta
on 3/29/15 2:05 pm - AZ

You might need it until you're able to eat enough fiber and get in enough fluids to keep thinks going ...pardon the unintended pun. I take Miralax when I drink a shake because they bind me up faster than anything. Cheese makes it worse, so, following my surgeon's advice that Miralax is safe to take every day, I just add some to each shake and it's easy to get down. I figured out how much I need, but it's not a full dose. And if I have 2 shakes a day, it's twice a day with the Miralax. And make sure you drink at least 64 ounces of water each day. I often do 80, mostly pure water, and find that's what helps me. Costco carries the Kirland brand, which is exactly the same, just cheaper. I get the funniest look from guests who look in my pantry and see several large bottles of it on the shelf. :)

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

mickeymantle
on 3/29/15 3:14 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

make shore your not taking to much (1200mg) I made a mistake and got the wrong ones once and took to many and was constipated for weeks till my nut figured it out

I drink 2 cups of regular coffee a day ( surgeon oked this ) and it helps me go when it don't only MOM works

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

xray_girl
on 3/30/15 4:23 am

Thanks everyone! 

Most Active