Did it not work? IS there anywhere to go from here?

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 5:54 am, edited 3/31/15 6:29 am - OR

Surgery was July 17, 2013

I weighed 268 on surgery date and lost 48 pounds in one year which I attribute most to working out like crazy 4 - 6 days a week. But I know that I did eat healthier than before most of the time.  I am trying to find my old food logs to see exactly what I did. 

Anyway, then school started (I have two preschoolers and different schools and it became impossible to get maintain that workout schedule.  We also had to cancel that gym and join a different one due to no room in the childcare most days - scheduling nightmare and driving so much with the kiddos.

At any rate - 4 months late I have gained all 48 pounds back and I am hungry all the time, depressed, no energy, started drinking coffee again (quit 5 years ago when prego with 1st) but I need the caffeine for energy.

Did I mention - hungery all the time/don't feel full when I should, tears - depressed all the time - all that work for nothing, the surgery and the workouts!!

I think maybe it was the workouts that lost the weight and not the surgery.  Is that possible?

Oh and I have tried Qsymia - didn't do anything, tried phentermine in the past = nothing so we had our doubts on Qsymia but gave it a shot anyway. 

Oh  - do you think it is worth paying the expensive copay to see the surgeon regarding this or will they just  turn it on me with no assistance.

Please try to be positive, if you want to be cruel, this is not the place to do it.  I am posting for support, having a rough time, worked so hard and spent so much money we don't have and I don't need hatred.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/31/15 6:34 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Can you post what you're eating now?  Exercise isn't the main factor for weight loss.  It's a matter of decreasing the amount of calories you intake vs expend.

Are you seeing a therapist or dealing with your depression with drug intervention?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Demonkarebear04
on 3/31/15 6:51 am

Depression can cause a serious amount of weight gain. Last year I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I was depressed ALL OF THE TIME, except at the times that I was soooo happy that people thought I was on drugs. There was no in between. I gained 90 pounds during this time. When they put me on antidepressants, my weight gain had stopped. Unfortunately, the damage had been done. The problem may not be food or exercise, the problem may be that you are depressed and not recognizing how sabotaging that can be. 

I am only 3 weeks out from surgery, so I am certainly not sure if this surgery will work for me or not. No one really knows I suppose. But I do know that since I was put onto antidepressants my life has made a complete turn. It certainly can't hurt to see a psychologist, or maybe even just some counseling. Not all depression requires medication.

Beth Of Fletchair
on 3/31/15 9:29 am, edited 3/31/15 9:30 am
with

I have been diagnosed with depression and bi-polar disorder for over 20 years.  Depression does not cause anyone to gain weight.  Eating too many calories causes us to gain weight.  It doesn't matter how you feel, how sad or happy you are, even what medication you take...if you take in more calories than you use then you will gain weight.  You can be the most depressed person in the world, eat correctly and on plan and lose just as much weight as the happiest person in the world.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/31/15 10:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Agreed wholeheartedly as a fellow bipolar person. I certainly gained a lot of weight on meds-- but that's because I ate crap, and lots of it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:44 pm - OR

Certain meds can trigger the carb addiction along with other non-healthy habits and desires.  Those addictions and desires can lead to a great deal of weight gain.  Anti-Depressents are know for weight gain being a side affect but then in my opinion, if you feel better and can get out of bed, get to the gym, - then you are on your way....it is just the difficult task of finding the right combination of meds.

Thank you Julie, for responding.

Jp2lose
on 4/2/15 5:21 am - Omaha, NE
I disagree that the meds themselves don't cause weight gain. I was put on propranolol last year and gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I was trying to lose weight while on the medication and was monitoring my food intake very carefully and ate a low carb, extremely clean - ie Paleo diet. Even after I quit taking it, it took several weeks to get the weight back off and that was with very careful food tracking. Some depression meds do cause weight gain!

Gwen M.
on 3/31/15 7:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I second GeekMo's questions.  

What, exactly, are you eating every day?  Please post a sample meal plan of a day or two.  

Are you seeing a therapist for your depression?  If you aren't, please find one and start working with them.

Seeing your surgeon might help, and meeting with a nutritionist if you haven't.  But you might also be best served by starting to track everything that you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  That will give you a better idea of what you're eating and what you need to change.  I'd guess that, with everything going on, you've slipped back into bad eating habits.  But the good news is, you CAN fix that and get back on track!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 1:40 pm - OR

Thank you Gwen M.!

Mommydoo
on 3/31/15 8:41 am - OR

Thank you all for your comments.  Regarding depression, I am on meds and have been since diagnosed 22 years ago.  I believe it has gotten worse and may be a time for a change up - I have an appointment next week.

Since joining Weigh****chers in February, I chart my food there but still use My Fitness Pal for weight - which has steadily increased, as mentioned.

Perhaps I should cancel the appointment with the surgeon and make one with the dietician, to get back on track with quick food choices that are healthy and yummy and a way to break this awful carb addiction!?

I wish there a was a closer support group.  I really think that would help, if I had any more time I would start one.

Most Active