Insurance Nighmare

Nicole H.
on 4/27/15 11:08 pm

It has been a while since I have posted due to having a lot of issues with insurance and then getting discourages. I have decided that if I want to change my life it is time to take this into my own hands. I am going for a consultation with Dr. Brolin at NJ Bariatrics! The entire cost of the surgery will be $15,000 whi*****ludes everything. I have started a GoFundMe but that has fizzled out. With the help of extremely wonderful family they are going to pay for my surgery. 

I have been battling obesity since I can remember and this is just a blessing.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/15 12:34 am
with

That's amazing!  What a life changing gift and an awesome way of showing their support.  Congrats!

Nicole H.
on 4/28/15 1:49 am

I am so blessed to have such supportive family and them wanting to fund my surgery is just incing on top of it all ( gosh I will miss incing lol ) 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/28/15 1:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

GoFundMe rarely gets anywhere. Very few people are willing to contribute to a total stranger's surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nicole H.
on 4/28/15 1:50 am

Yeah lol I did not want to ask my family for money because I know its a lot to ask for and I figured I would try someone on my own. I did get 2 - $25 funds from mt best friends. 

ladygodiva1228
on 4/28/15 3:01 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 28, 2015 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, Nicole H. wrote:

It has been a while since I have posted due to having a lot of issues with insurance and then getting discourages. I have decided that if I want to change my life it is time to take this into my own hands. I am going for a consultation with Dr. Brolin at NJ Bariatrics! The entire cost of the surgery will be $15,000 whi*****ludes everything. I have started a GoFundMe but that has fizzled out. With the help of extremely wonderful family they are going to pay for my surgery. 

I have been battling obesity since I can remember and this is just a blessing.

What were the issues with the insurance?  Did they not cover WLS?

I would double check and triple check the surgery cost. Do you know if they will pay for any complications that might happen down the road?

What if you have to stay in the hospital longer than expected?  J

ust thinking of things that might come up and you really want to be prepared for everything. 

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kathy7631
on 4/28/15 3:51 am - Vero Beach, FL

Have you considered Mexico? My Ins. would not cover my revision, lap to sleeve. They had "one bariatric surgery per lifetime" rule..I did not spend months fighting with them. I spent 4750. + air...It would have been 18k locally. If your Ins. will not pay for aftercare, it does not matter where you go. I took out a travel policy to cover complications for up to 6 mo. So far , so good, I am almost at 1 mo. post op.... I received excellent care. Worht  thinking about.

Nicole H.
on 4/28/15 4:29 am

I have heard great things about going to Mexico but I personally do not feel comfortable about going.

Nicole H.
on 4/28/15 4:28 am

The problem with my insurance is that my company has the surgery as an exclusion even if it is medically necessary. I tried to appeal it twice and got the same answer. I also wrote a letter to the owner of my company and the HR Director..they told me the benefit was to expensive to add. 

ladygodiva1228
on 4/28/15 4:43 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Ah I see.  I would make sure then the insurance will cover any complications that might come up.  You could have a perfect surgery and have no issues. 

I would also make sure they will cover the follow-up appointments that are needed. 

I think it is great that your family is helping with the surgery, but you have to make sure you will be all set for afterwards.  I would hate for anyone to end up having to pay thousands because the insurance will not cover anything at all after the surgery.   Again just things to think about.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active