Is it normal to be able to drink a lot?

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 7:27 am

I have no problem drinking, I can drink a 16oz water in 10 minutes. I haven't eaten any pureed or solid food and I am not at all hungry. I also have no problem with my protein shake but I purposely drink it extra slow. Is there a limit to how much liquid I should drink? I am only a week out of surgery and stopped my pain meds and everything feels fine even though I'm all bruised black and blue. This seems too good to be true and I'm wondering if it is?

sleevedinseptember
on 10/12/15 7:55 am

I think it is normal and to be expected as your stomach heals. I am a little over 2 weeks out and I can drink my water and protein shakes quite easily especially if the liquid is at room temperature. I am transitioning to purees and I cannot eat more than 2 - 3 teaspoons in a a 20 - 30 minute span before I feel very full. From what my surgeon told me, you can't really have too much liquid at this stage and they want you yo drink as much as possible to stay hydrated. I also wondered if maybe it was too easy for me to drink but I am happy about it as it helps me get my protein in for the day.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/15 8:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you are drinking without discomfort, that's great. You won't hurt anything. Drinking more is better.

We usually only hear from people when they are having problems or reach major goals. Small success like drinking ok doesn't usually make people ecstatic. It sounds like you are doing great.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 8:36 am

Yes, no discomfort .odd since nothing in my life has ever come easy or has been handed to me. I'm not a pessimist but have learned that good things usually take hard work and so far I haven't had to work that hard at all... but it's still early in the process. Before this surgery I had almost 6 months of consistent weight loss. Once I got my Diabetes under control it seems that the lbs slowly were coming off. I stopped the pain medication and feel great. I do hope this continues but I'm ready for a fight if it doesn't. I went back to work today for a meeting and tomorrow start back to normal hours. My real test will be coming up at end of month, I have to leave for Greece and Switzerland for 3 weeks for my job and I hate the flying and the hotels. Very pleased I did this. Thanks

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/12/15 10:09 am - MI

I had no problem consuming liquids right from the get go. Like you I could drink 16 ounces is 10 minutes. My NUT and doctor said this was great and to keep drinking.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

mickeymantle
on 10/12/15 1:39 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

jst remember the nerves to your stomach have been cut and you can't feel when you are full so slow down the drinking and give the liquids a little time to flow thru the piritiv valve

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sanjali23
on 10/13/15 6:08 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Just count yourself lucky Billy D and drink to your hearts content. I couldn't even get 64 oz down for about 2 months after surgery

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Most Active