gallbladder

lessofme123
on 11/23/15 6:09 pm

I'm 17 months out from vsg surgery.  I've been at my goal weight for several months, but have been having abdominal pains.  They figured out I have been passing gallstones so I had my gallbladder removed last Thursday.  It was a really easy surgery and I almost feel back to normal already.  If you have gallbladder type pain go ahead and get it taken care of.  It's pretty common after rapid weight loss.

Dan1962
on 11/23/15 6:34 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Had mine out after 13 months and also was at goal.  Only had three attacks but everything is great now (7 weeks).  Glad its over.

psychoticparrot
on 11/23/15 7:29 pm

I'm glad to hear your surgery went okay and you're feeling well. 

For the past few months I've been keeping a mental tab of when gall bladder trouble is likely to hit post-op, as I fully expect mine will give out before too long -- no symptoms yet, but I just have this feeling. It seems that the prime time for gall bladder trouble to hit is from 1 year to 1 1/2 years post-op. Again, just a rough tabulation.

I worry about this because that period for me falls during the time I'll be in Nicaragua. I've already written up and printed a Spanish info sheet about my surgery and potential gall bladder trouble for a surgeon in Nicaragua to read if I get symptoms. I used a online English-to-Spanish translator, but I have no idea how accurate it is. Unlike Costa Rica, where many people and most doctors can speak passable Engli****'s rare to find an English-speaker in Nicaragua. Although Costa Rica is just to the south of Nicaragua, it's a heap of red tape and delays to get from one country to the other. Wish me luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 4:05 pm

Totally off topic, but my daughter is heading to Nicaragua in May to do a college student version of Doctors Without Borders. Good thing she speaks a bit of Spanish, sounds like she will need it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grandmaneice
on 12/30/15 1:46 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I am 21 months out and had my gall bladder out on Monday.  Had one severe attack, called my surgeon, went for liver test and ultrasound showed nothing.  Then had. HIDA scan done and it showed it was only functioning at 12%.  When he got in there he told my husband he found 8 small ones.  Still a little sore, but was able to go to the store with my husband today and felt okay.  I am hoping to go back to work next Wednesday.

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 4:04 pm

Had mine out last week as well. Even with the hiatel hernia surgery being done at the same time, it has still been an easy recovery. Other than not being able to eat much anyway... but I suspect that is more from the hernia repair. I know this is a very personal question, but are you having issues with diarrehea? I never have problems with this and typically run a little slow if anything, but last night- dang.  I atea bunch of Pffeurknuss (spelling, sorry!) and OMG a couple hours later I was wrecked.  I have eaten very little solid food since  surgery though, so I am not sure if this is a thing post gallbladder or just coincidence.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active