Making a plea for VSG due to chronic arthritis

fiercebynature
on 2/8/16 3:58 pm

Hello

Does anyone have advise on how I  put forth the preference for the VSG due to chronic arthritis and the need to take Nsaids .

I experience massive swelling in my feet and  knees.( some of the joints in my feet are fusing)  I have degenerative disk disease in my back.

Tylenol never works because my joints swell and that causes pain . I already use a tens machine , massage, physio. I am in contact with the arthritis association. I have tried acupuncture.

I need a hip replacement and so I take a narcotic which does  not help the arthritis at all.

I have lost 55 pounds pre surgery and although there is improvement it's not a lot. (Most studies say I  have already lost enough weight  to feel any relief I am going to feel in the joints. )

I worry that if I have the RNY I am limiting my ability to treat my arthritis without taking major narcotics to live and I don't feel that narcotics are in my best interest.

I know about cortisone shots but that is not what I want to be doing at my age although I may end up there eventually.

So please, if anyone has advise, wisdom or any research  you may have come upon during your journey to share, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Suse

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

White Dove
on 2/8/16 4:25 pm, edited 2/8/16 8:25 am - Warren, OH

It is now recommended to not take NSAIDS with VSG

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

fiercebynature
on 2/8/16 5:05 pm

Thanks for your reply, I was speaking with NP today and she did explain that even if you have the VSG, Nsaids could still give you ulcers and that in some situations they give you medication to prevent the ulcers as well. Seems like a whole lot of  drugs to me and in all honesty I don't want to take any drugs. I worry because my gaining weight happened in part because of the inability to move without pain. I worry because I see many of my older family members struggling as arthritis affects their life in very negative ways.  I guess I see my future in their pain.

I would as I do now work very hard to manage the pain without meds. if I can.

Thanks again for the reply.

Suse

4khansen
on 2/8/16 4:29 pm - IA
VSG on 07/01/15

I have osteoarthritis and my surgeon decided after discussions with me that I should have VSG so I would be able to eventually take NSaids again.   His original plan was to do an RNY. 

I wasn't able to take NSaids for about 3 months following surgery.  Now at 7.5 months out I have a prescription for Numbetone (sp?) twice a day along with either OTC or prescription Prilosec/generic to go along with the Nsaid to protect my stomach.  I also take one dose of tramadol as a pain reliever too.

FYI -- before surgery I was taking meloxicam and wanted to try something different to see if I would have better relief.  Can't say there is a lot of difference.

I am a little concerned as of today they are reporting on the news that the Prilosec taken for too long a period of time may have detrimental effects on my kidneys. hmm.  I may talk to the surgeon or my local physician about taking time off every so often of the arthritis medication and just take the tramadol up to three times a day to let me stomach and kidneys take a break from the Nsaids and generic Prilosec.

I still am in arthritis pain with my current dosage of medicines, although the weight loss has kept me moving.  Unfortunately, the surgery does nothing to help the pain other than taking the weight pressure off.  Thankfully, that seems to be enough to not have to take a larger dosage than I currently am at this time.

HW: 336.5 (March 1, 2015), Height: 5'11", Birthdate: November 8, 1955

VSG: July 1, 2015 288.0 lbs, University of Iowa Hospitals -- Dr. Isaac Samuel

CW: 196 lbs, goal: 186

8/2/15 -- 263.8 | 8/30/15 -- 256.0 | 9/20/15 -- 248.6 | 11/1/15 -- 240.6 | 11/29/15 -- 233.2 | 1/3/16 -- 227.4 | 1/31/16 -- 218.6 | 2/28/16 -- 211.2 | 3/27/16 -- 204.6 | 5/2/2016 -- 206.6 | 5/30/2016 -- 203.8 | 7/7/2016 --198.8 | 8/1/2016 -- 197.8 | 1/25/2017 -- 196.3 | 3/23/2017 -- 194

fiercebynature
on 2/8/16 5:11 pm

I'm happy to hear the weight loss helps a little if not in pain , in movement and that there are medications that can help. This information gives me the opportunity to have a really good think about my health management.

Hope your journey continues to improve.

Thanks for your reply!

Suse

Neesie57
on 2/8/16 8:22 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Both of my knees have been replaced due to osteoarthritis, and it's the best thing that ever happened to me.  I weighed about 220 when I had them replaced and as of this morning I weigh 154.  My weight loss has made all the difference in the world!  I'm no longer on any pain meds, and can walk for miles without pain.  Losing the 55 pounds is great, but each pound you lose will make a difference in your pain level.  

Arthritis is a co-morbidity that will help you get VSG.  It was definitely a factor in me getting the surgery.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

acbbrown
on 2/8/16 6:11 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I have an auto-immune/inflammatory arthritis disease  and my GI and my rheumatologist are cool with me taking NSAIDs despite my surgery. I have had a couple scopes post op and have had zero issues with ulcers. For me, it's worth the risk given how much pain arthritis can cause. I had two steroid injections into my low back this morning and I'd like to avoid that at all costs. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

seattledeb
on 2/8/16 8:59 pm

I would only get the VSG. You need to have the ability to take meds that will help you.

RnY really limits medicine you can take and how it's absorbed.

Deb T.

Most Active