"How much have you lost?"

LosinginAZ
on 4/28/16 8:31 am

So I get this question all the time from my co-workers, and I hate answering it :( I have lost about 170 pounds total since July of last year, and I hate to say that because if you saw me, you would have an idea of how much I weighed before. Meaning, if you can do the math, and see that I lost 170 and still have about 100 to lose, you would be able to determine how much I use to weigh. Which I hate. 

What do you tell people when they ask? 

Thank you!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

pr31
on 4/28/16 8:55 am

That's a pretty personal and possibly offensive question for someone to ask.  I would just say something like "A lot, and I feel so much better" and leave it at that.  Hopefully they will get the point.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Bufflehead
on 4/28/16 8:58 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My first response for most people is "a lot, I don't know the exact number."

If they persist, I say "I'm sorry, my doctor told me to focus on health rather than overall numbers, and that's what I'm trying to do."

They always back off after that.

mmsmom
on 4/28/16 9:52 am - Woburn, MA

Someone I used to work with keeps posting on FB - how did you lose so much weight.... Well, if i wanted to plaster it on FB I would have - stop asking lol

VSG on 04/28/2014

White Dove
on 4/28/16 10:22 am - Warren, OH

You don't owe nosy people the truth.  Make up a number that you are comfortable with and give them that number.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 4/28/16 11:01 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I hate that question as well.  I've been saying "around 100 lbs", even though it's more like 175.  I just don't want people calculating what my starting weight must have been.  Plus 100 lbs sounds like an enormous amount to anyone who hasn't been morbidly obese.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Renren
on 4/28/16 11:04 am
VSG on 12/02/15

My Husband said when people stop me at work and want to find out how much I lost, I should just say, OUT OF MY WAY, IM HUNGRY! and rush on by. I haven't done it but I thought it was really funny. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 11:12 am

A favorite reply to someone I only knew in passing was this: What an odd question to ask someone you barely know. I smiled and I said nothing else. The absolute confused and embarrassed look my comment elicited was well worth it. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/28/16 12:42 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

"A LOT."  Then I stare them directly in the eye.  It tends to intimidate them enough to drop the subject.

I share this information with some people, but not everyone.  Coworkers tend to be nosy for the gossip factor, so it's none of their business.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/29/16 8:05 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

First agree with yourself that you do not owe them any answer.  

Personally I just say a few things when asked for how much lost:

"What?" and just looked puzzled, and if they push look down and say "huh I guess I have"

"A lot" or "some" and leave it alone and no more info (my personal rule is once you give anyone a number they start judging, and will have it in the future to compare, so I give no numbers unless you're very close to me)

If they as what your doing:

I make up a silly WL program and tell them that.  People love silly fad diets.  So my current favorite is H2Orange. It's something going around here at work and is silly.

No sugar or junk food and 800 calories a day focused on protein, that flips their brains over and while their thinking about how sad that is and how they couldn't do that, that's your cue to walk off.  

I know some of that sounds mean but who the hell ask that kinda thing?  If you've been telling them then it's on you to stop telling them because it's like feeding the bears, they'll just keep coming back because now for some reason that's the most interesting thing about talking to you.  So it's on you to stop feeding them.  Just tell them a lot and stop using numbers as that's the worst info you can give them.  They can add it up and think wow she was 300+ pounds, or they can subtract it and think wow she's lost X amount, they can also start to expect it and think... huh she lost 20lbs last month but now she's only lost 5lbs and they'll think your lazy.  I mention this because I went through this with some people here at work during my lap band.  People get jealous and believe you have it easier now that you have had WLS then they get mad about how easy it is for you, and when you slow down they feel justified to let you know that see it's not so easy, now your back to being just like them.  Trust me when you slow you'll hear even if just a couple stupid comments and you'll want to punch someone.  So my rule this time around is NO numbers.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active