3 days post op questions

obioxiupa
on 4/28/16 6:53 pm

I'm doing well with fluids(70 plus)an ok with protein(40 plus)

ive been running a low grade fever from 99-100.9.  I talked to my dr office they said this can be normal but to keep a close eye on incisions for any sight of infection, and to let the know how it's going tomorrow - if it gets over 102 they said to visit the er.  So hopingit isn't an infection and it fades away over the next few days.  Anyone with a low grade fever after surgery?  What was the outcome?

im also having large bruises around the incisions, and my belly is distended uncomfortably.  I started wearing the binder they sent home to help my belly swelling and to keep pressure off the incisions.  Anyone have bruising and swollen belly after surgery?

thanks

tara

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 7:16 pm

A low grade fever is very common after a surgery. It may last a day or two or three. Like your doctor said, keep an eye on it. If it spikes you need medical attention. 

Your belly has been pummeled! Some people bruise more easily than others. And like any trauma, the body sends white blood cells and fluids to the trauma area to help it heal. The swelling is normal, too. 

Sounds like you are doing very well. Try to get at least 80 grams of protein (you can count the shakes as liquid during this very early post op stage). It will help you heal all the faster and it will dissuade your body from cannibalizing your muscle mass during your rapid weight loss stage. 

Keep up the great job! 

obioxiupa
on 4/28/16 7:22 pm

Thanks for the assurances.  Since I've had the liquids down the last two days I'll focus tomorrow on protein!

tara

SweetLynn2001
on 4/29/16 9:00 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 08/02/16

I'm hoping to have my surgery in late June or early July and I've seen numerous people talk about not being able to reach their protein goal. 

Might i suggest you try the protein shots (this is just a link of what they look like but they sell the individual ones at Rite Aid and Vitamin Shoppe, etc) http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/new-whey-nutrition/new-whe y-liquid-protein.html?PLASKU=IDS116&mcid=CG_PLA_US_GS_new_wh ey_nutrition&bbdevice=c&bbtargetid=120147270000105141&catarg etid=120147270000105141&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjIy5BRClh8m _9Zu64d8BEiQAtZsQf1oqickvK8UbOIzYbWXSiTBnQDLcdMcHHQwLNuiKkug aApak8P8HAQ

You'll get 42G of protein in just about 3 oz. I've tried a few flavors and I will say some taste better than others. 

Congrats on your surgery and I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 10:58 am, edited 4/29/16 3:58 am

The only problem with this protein shots is the proprietary blend of proteins. You'll notice in the shots you recommended the first protein listed, and therefore the main protein in the blend is collagen protein.  As WLS patients we don't absorb collagen protein rendering protein shots virtually useless for us. Sorry to be a kill joy on that one. Many WLS programs, including mine, advise against using the protein shots. 

SweetLynn2001
on 4/29/16 2:18 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 08/02/16

Thanks for the info I had no idea. Right now I use began protein powder when I makes shakes because I don't do so well with whey/soy proteins because they upset my stomach. Well I will definitely stay away from the shots and stick to shakes until I can transition to soft & solid foods.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/29/16 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You might want to read this review of New Whey Liquid Protein before you use it.

Highlights:

While it may lack fat and fiber, Liquid Protein has all the protein grams that you'd expect it to in accordance with its name. With 42 protein grams, it actually contains one of the most elevated amounts of protein that I've seen in a product like this. If you're looking for a supplement that's going to help you pack on muscle or boost your performance at the gym, it might not be a bad idea to give Liquid Protein a try. However, it's probably not going to be as helpful when it comes to losing weight.

Not only are the artificial sweeteners found in Liquid Protein unnatural, but they can actually result in some pretty bad side effects if you consume them for too long a period of time. For example, one of the components of acesulfame potassium is methylene chloride. If you're exposed to methylene chloride for too long, you may experience side effects like headaches, nausea, mental confusion, issues with your vision and depression. Prolonged consumption of methylene chloride and acesulfame potassium can even damage your liver and kidneys. While I couldn't find any reviews written by anyone who's seemed to suffer from side effects like these, you may want to be cautious about how long you use Liquid Protein for.

According to a lot of the reviews I was able to find for this product, a lot of humans seem to have a problem with the inclusion of collagen protein isolate. They claim that your body is unable to absorb this form of protein, the meaning of which is that it's not in the possession of capabilities to really be of much use to you. Considering that the entire result this product is to work as a protein supplement, that would mean that Liquid Protein is basically useless.

Well, we've learned some pretty disappointing things about Liquid Protein. Not only is it incapable of taking the place of your meals and keeping you full, but apparently all of the collagen protein in its formula can't even be accomplishing absorbtion within your body. This would mean that Liquid Protein is totally useless. As a result, I just simply cannot recommend this product, no matter the reality your goals' existence.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

LizTlilwitchy
on 4/29/16 1:09 pm - Cincinnati, OH
VSG on 05/06/16

Thank you for sharing this!  That stuff certainly doesn't sound like anything I would want to ingest! Yuck!

Liz T

5'7" HW: 280, Pre-Op:280, SW:262, M1:-24, M2: In Progress, CW:238  Surgery: VSG on 5/06/16

"Do it until you want to do it."  "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." ~ Maya Angelou

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/29/16 1:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

No problem.  It's great that we can share information here so people aren't ripped off, or malnourished.  Good luck on your impending surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

LizTlilwitchy
on 4/29/16 3:53 pm - Cincinnati, OH
VSG on 05/06/16

Thank you! Yes, today is day 8 of my 800 calorie sugar free all liquid fast, so I am both excited and anxious!  I can't wait to join everyone on the loser's bench!

Liz T

5'7" HW: 280, Pre-Op:280, SW:262, M1:-24, M2: In Progress, CW:238  Surgery: VSG on 5/06/16

"Do it until you want to do it."  "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." ~ Maya Angelou

Most Active