What I wished I would have known...

xray_girl
on 5/1/16 6:04 am

There are a ton of things I wished I would have realized before surgery. I'm sure I will forget to list some. I had sx 12/23/14. I started at 263.I'm currently 158, size 8-10.

-it will still be really really hard to lose weight ,even with surgery. You have to put the effort in to eat the way you are supposed to. 

-you think you know, but you don't truly realize how much our lives revolve around food until you are restricted in what you eat. 

-shoes - yeah you will probably have to buy new ones. You lose weight in your feet too! 

-you can lose weight in your ears! This can affect the way your eustachian tube functions. I have this and I will be talking and all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing... In my ear! Who thinks about things like this? Not me! 

-people you have known for a long time but haven't seen in a while may truly not recognize you and act accordingly. Don't, I repeat, DON'T take it personally! My husband had to remind me of this often. Call me sensitive... (this was a biggie for me) 

-losing weight will not magically solve body image issues. I'm more uncomfortable shopping for bathing suits now (wrinkly skin on thighs!) than I was when I was fat. 

-you may not recognize yourself in old pics. I honestly can't believe I was a big as I was! 

-it really is totally life changing! I do so much more now. I'm so much more confident! 

-you have to learn how to receive compliments. You look better and people want to let you know that! Unfortunately they aren't always tactful about it... 

-advice - everyone has it but it's not all good. People will try to tell you to do this or that. Use your brain and do what's right for you. 

-you can cross your legs! (oh and your butt may disappear - bony butt+hard seat =ouchie!) 

-acid, so much acid.. Not everyone has this problem but I do. Pp'si take care of it but I was unaware of the risk of kidney problems now associated with long term use. Now I'm scared sh*tless and I'm trying other options (none that work as well, sigh) 

Overall, I can honestly say I wish I could had this surgery years ago. I was cash pay and will be paying another 3yrs for it but it was totally worth it. Everyone has a different experience (some may not have any of the ubove mentioned issues) and that's OK. Don't expect it to be easy but do expect it to be worth it. 

cappy11448
on 5/1/16 6:20 am

Great post.  You bring a good dose of reality to the process which should be helpful for newbies and a good reminder of what we've been thru for the rest of us.

I'll just add that my NP told me that  it takes about 18 months for our heads to catch up with our bodies when we lose weight rapidly.  That was pretty accurate for me. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Starry Eyed
on 5/1/16 6:23 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Thank you for sharing!  I'm still in the recovery stage and have many pounds to shed.  Your information will help in the preparing for the many changes that will take place, both physically and mentally.

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Pookie01
on 5/1/16 6:16 pm

Thank you for sharing.  I am newly sleeved and it was good to read your post.

Judy  5'5"  HW 298  SW 270

Heather L.
on 5/2/16 8:53 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

"-you can lose weight in your ears! This can affect the way your eustachian tube functions. I have this and I will be talking and all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing... In my ear! Who thinks about things like this? Not me! "

oh my goodness!  i thought this was just me!  it's been driving me crazy since surgery!

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

xray_girl
on 5/2/16 9:39 am

Lol, i thought I was nuts. I researched and researched.. Major weight loss is a trigger.. I thought "popping" my ears would help but that is probably the worst thing you can do. Swallowing didn't really help either. I was told to try something and it is the only thing that consistently helps - bend your head over. It does something to stabilize the pressure. It is completely annoying to be talking and then all of a sudden everything is super loud.... Glad to know it's s not just me! 

Heather L.
on 5/4/16 8:22 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Yeah, swallowing does nothing.  Popping does nothing.  Plugging my nose and blowing does nothing.  I found that a quick, forceful snort through my nose would work about half the time.   I will definitely try the bending over thing next time it happens.  Thanks!

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views