2 Days to go before my life changes. . . .

Anne85
on 5/2/16 7:57 am

Only 2 days and I'll be getting sleeved! Yesterday and this morning I've suddenly been feeling kind of depressed. Which is a bummer because last week I was feeling pretty good and felt more energized. I just feel tired now and want to sleep. It doesn't help that it's been rainy and cloudy non-stop for several days, and I didn't get out of my apartment yesterday. I think it's good that I'm at work this morning and around people. 

I've been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, and I'm dreading having to be on the liquid diet for another 3 weeks after my surgery. I'm tired of my eyes hurting and headaches and low energy and hunger pains from the liquid diet... and I haven't even had surgery yet....ughghhhh. But this too shall pass, that's what I have to keep telling myself! Just trying to get my spirits up before surgery. . .

KarolElin
on 5/2/16 8:23 am

You can do this. You have already come so far. I began my pre-op clear liquids today, so I can sympathize. Knowing there is some one else going through the same thing is comforting. The worst part for me is watching and smelling my family eat a regular diet. I think I may have to excuse myself and go for a walk around dinner time.

"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."-Jon Acuff

5'11" HW 368;  SW 294; 1 MO -10.2; 2 MO -7.9; 3 MO -12.4; 4 MO -8.4; 5 MO -7.1  CW 242

Pookie01
on 5/2/16 8:31 am

The pre surgery diet was a bit difficult to get through.   You need to think about all the good things that will lie ahead of you post surgery.   Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Judy  5'5"  HW 298  SW 270

sds3759
on 5/2/16 10:04 am

Hey! Im starting my liquid diet today as well.. my emotions are all over the place.. yesterday i watched tlc my 600lb story.. the 2 year updates.. it was exciting to see the after photos but the cosmetic issues afterwards started to really hit me.. it really scared me to see the sagging skin and how bad it will look like afterwards.. started to doubt myself.. if being fat is better than the affect of losing it.but that feeling didnt lasted long... not a good idea to watch those kind of stuff before a surgery..lol.. Anyways.. any tips or advice for this new journey we are starting? 

cappy11448
on 5/2/16 10:35 am

The excess skin is not fun, but there are solutions.  Our bodies can fix some of it. (my face skin was loose and saggy after WL, and now it looks fine)  Our clothing hides most of it, so you will look great and fit into clothing off the rack at normal stores.  And there is always plastic surgery which can do amazing improvements.  So one step at a time.  Even with the excess skin, you'll be glad you lost the weight.

I posted pictures of my pre-tummy-tuck tummy, and another immediately after surgery, and a recent photo 1 year later. Its amazing how well it worked.  My tummy is like it was when I was 14, before the weight gain.  I love it.  The pictures are in my profile if you are interested. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Anne85
on 5/2/16 1:58 pm

My advice regarding the pre-op liquid diet is to try to avoid being around food or smelling food for the first few days if you are able. You have to emotionally distance yourself from it. Or, while others around you are eating a meal, have your protein shake or gatorade to sip on so you aren't just sitting there thinking about their food without anything in your hands.

Sip some skim milk (if your surgeon allows) during periods of hunger- the milk helped erase the hunger pains for me until I could have my next protein shake. After about a week, I stopped craving food altogether. I've heard a lot of people say they stopped feeling hungry after about 3 days on the liquid diet, but for me it just took longer. Sugar-free gum helps too, and variety in what you're drinking is key!! Hang in there! 

Anne85
on 5/2/16 2:00 pm
Anne85
on 5/2/16 2:03 pm

thank you I appreciate the support! I think that going for a walk around dinner time is a really good idea. It helps to distance yourself from the food until you are no longer craving it or are used to the liquid diet!

TexasTerritory
on 5/2/16 9:24 am
VSG on 07/22/13
It gets better. Hang in there!

cappy11448
on 5/2/16 10:28 am

I think the pre-op liquid diet is the hardest part of the whole process.  After surgery, you have the restriction and physiological changes to help, but the pre op diet is tough.

One suggestion is to cut your carbs really low.  Many of us are sensitive to carbs, and carbs cause food cravings for us.  Low carb may help the hunger pangs, and it also makes it easier to stick to your plan. 

It'll be over soon, and you'll be on to greater health and energy.  It'll be worth it in the long run

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active