Soft Food Diet

swtnchrmd
on 5/4/16 7:30 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Good morning everyone. I am 2 weeks post-op, and today is day 1 for my "soft diet". I am allowed to have eggs now, cooked cereals, mushy vegetables, etc. I am just wondering what everyone's experience was with starting this phase of the diet? It was pretty uncomfortable for me this morning. I scrambled 1 egg with a little low fat cheese, and about 2 oz. of cream of wheat. It did not go so well. I ate almost all of the egg, but every single bite, no matter how long I chewed, how small the bite, was uncomfortable. Does this get better? I only managed to eat a few bites of the cream of wheat. 

Thanks for any helpful tips or advice anyone can give!

Nicole

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/4/16 8:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That is A LOT of food for 2 weeks out. I was only able to eat half of an egg in one sitting until I was at least 6 months out.

You won't feel any sort of fullness for quite a while as the nerves in your stomach have been severed. Don't count on that to tell you how much to eat. Instead, weigh and measure your food, and shoot on the side of eating too little-- especially at first.

If you're uncomfortable, don't pu**** Many folks don't get to soft solids until week 3 or 4, and there's nothing wrong with staying on full liquids or purees until you're more recovered.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

swtnchrmd
on 5/4/16 10:05 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Thanks for the response. As far as the amount of food, it is what is suggested for this week. My sleeve was done on April 20. I probably ate the one egg over a span of about 45 minutes. I am wondering if maybe my first bite was just too big of a bite which kind of messed up the rest of it. I know it is something I have to train myself on. This is considered Week 3 according to my calendar - I am not sure I understand the math of that yet. Lol. Anyway, I appreciate your advice!! 

luvmypuggies
on 5/4/16 10:13 am

I agree with Julie's response - don't feel obligated to eat more than is comfortable.  Start small, eat a little bite, wait a while to see how it goes, and then have another bite.  I wouldn't force down the standard-issue recommendations if it is the least bit unpleasant.  This is a whole new wait to eat for us, so it takes a while to train yourself and to learn how your body responds.  If you need a few more days of mushy stuff, that's fine.  You'll get there eventually - there's no rush! :)

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 2:23 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I totally agree with you. It is certainly an adjustment learning how much to "bite" at one time. Thank you very much for your response! As far as how much I am eating, I am just worried I am not getting enough. I am struggling getting the 64 oz. of fluid I should be getting as well as the 60 - 80g of protein. It is normal at first to struggle getting there? My calorie intake currently is anywhere from 350 - 450 calories a day right now..

Bufflehead
on 5/4/16 10:44 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I couldn't have eaten that much food at six months out, let alone two weeks out. Your stomach can't read the "suggested guidelines" from your doctor -- and in my experience, those tend to be maximums, not minimums. Don't push yourself so hard.

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Yea, that makes sense. I guess I just felt like if this is what I am supposed to be eating, something is wrong with me if I'm not. Thanks for the encouragement.

Neesie57
on 5/4/16 4:13 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I was lucky to get one egg at one sitting, so the cream of wheat would have put me way over the top.  I could eat about a quarter of a cup of food at time, until about 3 months out.  Now, I half cup is about the most with most foods, and I'm 9 months out from surgery.

An egg is about 2 ounces, and that was my limit.  Now I can eat two eggs at meal, but it is all that I can eat.  Listen to your stomach.  Don't eat until your stomach is in pain.  You'll learn your limits quickly, so small bites very slowly, and you'll be happy.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

leslielu86
on 5/9/16 4:13 am
VSG on 04/04/16

My surgeon's office told me to limit my eating time to 30 minutes so if I can only get in 1/2 egg in that amount of time I should stop.  At week 5 I find myself still using protein shakes to supplement since the "soft foods" are very small portions.  Good luck!

It's not about losing weight.....it's about gaining confidence too.  It's not about shrinking in size, it's about growing in strength

jazzygirlnc
on 5/4/16 10:19 am
VSG on 04/14/16

Congrats on making it to soft foods, today was my first day of soft foods too! I already pre-portioned out 1/4 cup servings of refried beans with cheese on top, and I made zuchini, onions and peppers, cooked very, very well.  For lunch I had 1oz of each and a small strawberry and even though I felt I could've eaten more I didnt. My surgeon requires no more than 2oz of soft foods per meal, but I think is increases to 3-4oz when you reach solids. Good Luck

Height: 5'9" // VSG: 4/14/2016

HW: 297# (while pregnant) // SW: 273.1# // CW: 187.8# //

GW: 145#

Lost thus far: 85.3# // Until Goal: 42.8#

Percent Excess Weight Loss: 66.5%

Most Active