Protein shakes/feeling full?

honeywell
on 7/1/16 7:51 am, edited 7/3/16 12:55 pm

Strange question but...

After your sleeve, do you feel full after a protein shake? I am on my two week pre-op diet and I've been drinking 11 oz. Pure Protein shakes for breakfast. I will drink one and literally feel my stomach growl right after finishing. I know since my tummy will be smaller after surgery, I won't be able to drink a whole shake in one sitting. But. Do you feel full/nourished after drinking? I keep thinking, I don't know how these things are going to ever make me feel full.

Thank you!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/1/16 9:04 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Shakes won't make you feel full, either now or years later. It's liquid & it just goes right thru, but in the beginning you'll need them to make your protein goals. After the swelling goes down & you're further out from surgery & eventually healed you'll be eating dense protein & will feel the restriction.

Remember you're healing right now, nerves have been cut, you won't really feel any restriction right now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cici123
on 7/1/16 10:01 am, edited 7/1/16 3:02 am

After reading on here for a while I realize that everyone is really really really different.  For me and my newly sleeved tummy, the shakes make me feel beyond full after just a small portion or one whole serving, as does a snack size sugar free jello pudding, or something like two tablespoons of watered down cream of wheat.   There are days when I have not felt totally nourished, usually these are days when I have had some other issues, and I am not even quite two weeks post op.   I always feel full and usually feel nourished.  I am giving myself ample opportunity to rest which probably helps me.   I think it is important early on to really keep up on getting everything in, even if it means small incremental "meals" throughout  the day.  I have had to tell myself to keep up with it as though it is important medicine that I need to take .

I did feel absolutely starving during much of the preop period.  It was an adjustment period and I am sure is really helping me now post op.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/1/16 10:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

At two weeks out, ANYTHING will make you feel full, liquid or no. That changes once you're healed and can drink more fluids.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Renren
on 7/1/16 11:46 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Protein shakes no longer make me feel stuffed, but in the first few weeks after surgery they made me really full. It would take me about an hour to drink just 4 ounces. If I tried to ru**** it would make me feel sick. You might want to get a sample of Unjury protein at Unjury.com. Its thinner and easier to drink. I started with premier protein which I now like, but at first I had to thin it down in order to be able to swallow it. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

cici123
on 7/1/16 12:37 pm

I think I will order a sample of unjury.  I see that they have unflavored protien which appeals to me.  I don't think I will ever like anything vanilla flavored again...thanks for the suggestion!!!!

petra65
on 7/1/16 2:11 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Im only a few days post op but can only handle about 4 oz of fluid at a time.  I have to keep at it all day and Im still not reaching either my fluid or protein goals but it is getting better every day.  The amazing thing is that Im not hungry at all.  I do get thirsty and wish I could drink more at one sitting.  

Lisa F.
on 7/2/16 5:18 am
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm 4 weeks post op and protein shakes do make me full, but only when I add more protein powder per liquid (I'm now back to making my own vs. pre-made) and they're thicker.

Hunger is returning, but it's not the "I could eat a horse" kind that I had pre-op, but more like "hmm... I think I need to eat something". I hope this sticks!

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Courage2Enjoy
on 7/2/16 6:20 am
VSG on 04/28/16

With you only being two weeks out, you will not feel 'full' the nerve endings are healing.  The 'growling' you hear or feel may just be gas.  Our stomachs are healing and we've changed it so it's 'talking' back to you! Hehe.  But seriously, you'll hear lots of growling and gurgles.  I am 9 weeks out and still get those.  More than likely you're not hungry at all and it's just gas/acid in your stomach.  If you were given an antacid you may want to take it.  It still takes me a good 2 hours to finish a shake...Good luck! 

honeywell
on 7/2/16 11:08 am

Sorry guys, I meant to say PRE-op diet up there not POST-op. Argh!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views