Concerned Friend

TruSe
on 7/19/16 8:04 pm

I'm concerned about a friend. She had surgery over a month ago and has not started regular foods. She is still eating soft foods.  Her doctor want her to continue soft foods for an additional four weeks. She only eat eggs and crabmeat. 

I know every doctor's guidance is different but this does not sound normal to me. When I had surgery my doctor instructed me to eat in phases; 1-2 weeks liquids, 3rd week puree, and 4-5th week soft foods.

At my one month's doctor appointment I was instructed to start regular food. I made sure to eat chicken and turkey, food with a lot of protein. I also would drink protein shakes to make sure I had enough protein.

Another issue I have is her surgeon told her it was fine for her take Flinstone vitamins. Taking Flinstone vitamins after bariatric surgery is the craziest thing I'v ever heard. I stress to her to look into the bariatric vitamins. 

I am concerned she will have a setback. She does not listen to me. I followed my doctor's order and I have not had any issues. I was the model patient. I know everyone is different but the guidance her doctor is providing does not sound normal.

My question to the community is when did you start eating regular food? Have you every heard of someone instructed to eat soft foods for two months? 

happyteacher
on 7/19/16 8:25 pm

Everybody's plans can be a little different. Progressing through stages a little more slowly is advocated by some of the docs per the posts I have seen over the years. It does allow a more gentle progression and better healing time. I don't see an issue with a little more time on soft foods. The Flintstone vitamin is different- I wonder if the doc has that going short term due to it being chewable? I agree- that is not a long term quaility supplement to meet our needs. Personally, I use the multi from patchmd.com. It is the only thing that brought up my persistently low iron and other areas, and I was taking legit supplements prior to switching. 

It will be hard, but your friend will likely stumble here and there and may have a different path to take on this journey. Try to be supportive in your friend's journey. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jesuiscrystal
on 7/19/16 8:25 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

1. Every doctor is different. Every patient is different. Your experience is not hers.
  2. My doctor also says to take Flintstones. I take two per day. They have everything I need.
  3. She shouldn't listen to you. She chose a surgeon and a team of doctors to get her through. They know what is going on with her situation far more than you do. Sorry, I know you want to help, but please MYOB.
  4. My progression is 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft, then regular beginning on week 7 (That's nearly two months)
hollykim
on 7/20/16 7:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2016 at 3:25 AM Pacific Time, jesuiscrystal wrote:

1. Every doctor is different. Every patient is different. Your experience is not hers.
  2. My doctor also says to take Flintstones. I take two per day. They have everything I need.
  3. She shouldn't listen to you. She chose a surgeon and a team of doctors to get her through. They know what is going on with her situation far more than you do. Sorry, I know you want to help, but please MYOB.
  4. My progression is 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft, then regular beginning on week 7 (That's nearly two months)

would you give adult vitamins to a child? Flints tones don't have everything you need.

FuturePinUp
on 7/20/16 8:29 am

No. But from what I've seen, a lot of doctors allow for them in the first month ****il cleared for non-chewables) because the bariatric ones are often not well tolerated. I definitely had that experience and as soon as I could move on to regular ones, I did.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

jesuiscrystal
on 7/20/16 10:29 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Have you ever looked at the supplement facts for Flinstones Complete? I firmly believe bariatric vitamins are a racket, and so does my surgeon. After I'm able to tolerate those giant adult horse pills, I plan to switch. For now, I'm going to follow my surgeon's recommendation and take two (delicious) kiddie vitamins.

http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/flintstones-complete.pdf

hollykim
on 7/20/16 11:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM Pacific Time, jesuiscrystal wrote:

Have you ever looked at the supplement facts for Flinstones Complete? I firmly believe bariatric vitamins are a racket, and so does my surgeon. After I'm able to tolerate those giant adult horse pills, I plan to switch. For now, I'm going to follow my surgeon's recommendation and take two (delicious) kiddie vitamins.

http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/flintstones-complete.pdf

yes,I have,have you? I also have compared them to a leading brand of adult vitamins,not bariatric vitamins,which are a racket,but leading national vitamins. They don't compare. They can't because they are formulated for children's needs,not adults. 

I also compared them to th ASMBS guidelines,and even they don't recommend them.

Surgeon as aren't God,they know how to cut and that is about all.

jesuiscrystal
on 7/20/16 11:52 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

You're absolutely right that surgeons aren't God; however, they do usually assemble a team of caregivers who are qualified to provide support and nutritional counseling to their patients. As you can see by reading here, quite a few of us are taking Flintstones vitamins. I'm certain they're not all in the same area with the same surgeon, so I'd venture to say that it's actually quite common to be told that Flintstones vitamins are ok.

So, there's the answer for the OP. Flintstones = normal. 

hollykim
on 7/20/16 12:01 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2016 at 6:52 PM Pacific Time, jesuiscrystal wrote:

You're absolutely right that surgeons aren't God; however, they do usually assemble a team of caregivers who are qualified to provide support and nutritional counseling to their patients. As you can see by reading here, quite a few of us are taking Flintstones vitamins. I'm certain they're not all in the same area with the same surgeon, so I'd venture to say that it's actually quite common to be told that Flintstones vitamins are ok.

So, there's the answer for the OP. Flintstones = normal. 

you are so right that many take them at the suggestion of their programs. That still doesn't mean the "team" knows what it is doing with post op bariatric patients. They all try to treat us like ppl with. Normal stomachs and it just doesn't work that way.

we have seen more than a few ppl who took Flintstones and after two or three years they are back,wondering what to do because all their levels have tanked. Calls to their surgeon and his "team" go unreturned because they aren't  interested in ppl two or three years out. 

If you stay around long enough ,you might see what I am talking about.

jesuiscrystal
on 7/20/16 12:50 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

When did anyone ever say that the kiddie vitamins were good long term? 

Chewable adult vitamins (that are affordable) are hard to find, if not impossible. Gummies don't have iron. Flintstones are affordable, widely available, and well tolerated. 

Most Active