Heartbroken

Secrets224
on 7/22/16 8:04 am
VSG on 09/27/16

So, as of yesterday, I was 12 days from surgery. I completed all of my pre-op testing, i've been on my pre-op diet since Sunday. All good to go. I went for my follow-up yesterday to get my endoscopy results, which was also to be followed by my surgeon's pre-op and final nutritional counseling appointment. The gastroenterologist comes into the exam room with a "face" on, so I knew something was wrong. She says "Ok, nothing life threatening, but you can't have the surgery right now. You have a helicobacter pylori gastritis infection. You have to take antibiotics for 2 weeks and a second medication for a while until I tell you to stop taking it and then you have to have another endoscopy to check to see if the infection is gone. Took the wind right out of my sails. Everything was planned. Everything was taken care of. People took their vacations. Flights were booked for family coming from out of state to help. And just like that. Surgery cancelled. I'm disappointed to say the least. I know this is a common infection that alot of people have, but why? Why 12 days before surgery? Why didnt this ever come up before so this wouldn't have happened so damn close to surgery. Cue the doubt, regret, shame, disappointment and anger. By the time all of this treatment is done and assuming only 1 course of antibiotics cures this infection (which sometimes you need more than one course to cure it)... My oldest will be back in school, i've already wasted my SO's vacation time from work that he can't change, i'm going to have to use 1 week vacation time since my sister is coming in on a flight for a week and can't take the time or the flight back. So, it just became one big cluster f*ck of nonsense that ruined everything. 

I am glad they found it so that my life was not threatened during or after surgery with an undiagnosed infection. I understand what could have happened if it went undiagnosed or unfound and i had surgery and god forbid ended up with an infection in the hospital. But DAMN IT! Why does this always happen to me? I followed all the rules and did everything I was supposed to. I'm also about $500 into doctor co-pays for this damn surgery prep and it might not even happen this year now since i won't be able to have anyone take more vacation time to help me later on this year if all goes according to plan and the infection is gone. It'll be too late. I'm crushed. 

Let's see what happens. Thanks for listening. Good luck to everyone who has upcoming surgeries. I'm rooting for you all. 

rachelp
on 7/22/16 8:26 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I am so so soooo sorry to hear this news! I would feel the same way as you! I am waiting for insurance approval and I am a nervous wreck!! I don't handle disappointment very well. The positive thing to focus on right now is that this is ONLY a set back and not permanent! It will happen! I'm sorry everything is derailed though.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Naomi S.
on 7/22/16 9:27 am - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I was diagnosed with H Pylori before surgery and went through two courses of treatment. At my pre op appt with my surgeon, I reminded him that I needed to be tested to make sure the infection was gone, and he said it didn't matter, he'd still go ahead with the surgery either way. I was surprised by this, and he said his practice has changed their protocol, they no longer test for H Pylori during the pre op phase. Apparently if there is an infection, most of the time it will be removed with the portion of the stomach that is taken out. If not, they'll start treatment when you can take pills. 

You might want to talk with your surgeon to see what the current recommendations are for WLS for patients with an H Pylori infection.  Ask him what the date is for what he's citing you.  If it's a few years out, ask specifically if those recommendations have been changed since then.  

Good luck!

Naomi

Secrets224
on 7/22/16 10:01 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Well, unfortunately, the Gastroenterologist won't clear me and that is who the surgeons defer to. I need Psych, Nutritional, Pulmonary, Cardiology, and Gastro clearance before they will go ahead with the surgery. So if she says no, then they won't do it until she clears me. She said I could probably have the surgery now physically, but it wouldn't be in good taste to tempt a possible problem or for an active infection to be in my body while having an invasive surgery and could possibly hinder the healing process and the infection could still need to be treated. So, we go with the treatment before and a repeat endoscopy to see what comes up and if its all clear. If not, i'll have to do another treatment. 

Secrets224
on 7/22/16 9:41 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you so much. I'm just so let down. It's a rough set back. Everything was going so well, i don't have comorbidities, i'm almost under 300 lbs before surgery (i was 334 at consult, now 304)... Shot me right off the high I was on. It sucks, but yes, its temporary, just plays with your plans, mind and well being. 

acbbrown
on 7/22/16 9:59 am - Granada Hills, CA

Do you have young (like toddlers) kids? If not you probably don't need help.  I lived alone after surgery and did just fine. It's nice to have help I guess but I was really glad to be alone and not have to watch others eat.

sorry for this - I would have been devastated too.  

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Secrets224
on 7/22/16 10:03 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Thanks. Yes, i have an 8 year old and a 2 year old. So unfortunately, I do need help. And since SO's vacation time is going to be wasted now the week that i was supposed to have surgery, i'll be alone and since i drop off and pick up the kids daily, plus work and am not supposed to be driving until they say so, it becomes an issue. :( 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/22/16 10:23 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Sorry to hear :( The only issue I would see post op is with your 2 year old and literally picking him up. You're physically limited for a few days due to the incisions, but by the 2nd day post op I was able to bend over enough to grab my boxers and put on, etc. I think its great to have help post op, but short of lifting your 2 year old you should be fine.

My constant battle (and my wifes) was keeping my 45 # labradoodle and 130# great dane from jumping up onto me or on my lap in my recliner like they normally do :P 

Sorry this happened, but it will all come together in the end!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Secrets224
on 7/22/16 12:35 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Thanks. The problems are: ill be in the hospital for 2 days, nobody to stay home and watch the kids and take them or pick them up from school since now, it wont be summer anymore and everybody used their vacation time to help me and its all wasted and even when i do get home from the hospital, im not allowed to drive, so again, it would become an issue of how do the kids get to and from school? I have a bad back so i dont pick the baby up anyway, but its just frustrating when everything was all taken care of and can't be re-configured down the line. So, this all just might have to wait at this point. Makes me sad. 

honeywell
on 7/22/16 4:04 pm

My heart sank when I read this. I am so sorry, babe. I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better. 

Most Active