Stage 4 post-op

meredith034
on 7/24/16 2:10 pm
VSG on 07/14/16

So i am about to head into eating regular textured food and i am having a hard time just keeping scrambled eggs down... I am not sure if it is the tiny amount of ketchup that i am using with the eggs or if it is the eggs. I am hoping it is the eggs and not the tomato ketchup, because i really want to have a "meatball" with sauce. I had some chicken that was in the chicken noodle soup without any issues so i am hoping that i am able to eat some chicken just not sure what i can dip it in to make it easier to go down. 

Any advice?

ubserved
on 7/24/16 2:26 pm

All you can do is test one item at a time to see what will work for you....try the eggs with no ketchup and see how you handle it, then you will know.

Anne O.
on 7/24/16 4:05 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I am 24 days out and I had trouble with a scrambled egg the other day, but I poached one and it settled on my stomach with no problem. 

Naomi S.
on 7/24/16 6:09 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I asked my nutritionist specifically about scrambled eggs after reading several posts on here that people struggled to eat them post-op. She said that it can help to add a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese to a scrambled egg so it's a little moister. I haven't tried this yet, an over-easy egg goes down just fine, but I'm keeping it in mind for when I want to try a scrambled egg. 

Naomi

cappy11448
on 7/25/16 11:06 am

When I was starting solid foods, I used ranch dressing or a small amount of mayonnaise to moisten and enhance to palatability of the food.  Since my servings were very small, I didn't need much so the calories weren't prohibitive.  As my serving size grew, I had to cut out the mayo and salad dressings to keep my calories low enough.  But by then, the moisture of the food wasn't a problem.

When I started solids, I ate a lot of sea scallops and salmon, tuna salad and chicken salad, rotissary chicken, sliced deli meats rolled around mozzarella cheese sticks, devilled eggs, and scrambled eggs.

Good luck with your next phase. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/25/16 12:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had a LOT of trouble with eggs! For some reason, they just didn't sit well with me until I was several months post-op. 

For chicken, make sure it's shredded or mashed really fine, and very moist. You can add a little bit of mayo to make chicken salad, or sauce like spaghetti sauce, BBQ, etc. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kris R.
on 7/25/16 1:46 pm - Walworth, NY

To comment on the meatball - I love them.  I buy the little turkey meatballs in the freezer section, pop them in a crock pot with the sauce and let them cook for 4+ hours.  Get's them nice and soft and saucy.  Sometimes, I'll eat 1 with some ricotta cheese YUM - but I have to be careful because sauce is a trigger food for me, always has been, so, I have to package them up after I cook them into small containers, I freeze them and grab 1 for lunch - chew.. chew.. chew  because those coming up can be nasty.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Most Active