What do you eat/workout post vsg?

mndvrmtt
on 7/25/16 4:31 pm - Canada

I was sleeved on June 27 and am going to be cleared for solids and exercise on August 10. Just asking people within a year postop, what's a typical day of eating for you? Also, what do you do for exercise? I want to maximize my weight loss as best as possible so exercise is really where I need insight.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/26/16 5:13 am, edited 7/25/16 10:21 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Congrats and welcome, just about a month out now!

The volume of food for people closer to your post op time versus closer to a year will probably vary greatly in most cases

I'm a two months post op and my day is usually

• B - 1 egg fried, protein shake (either homemade or a premier)
  • S - i may eat 1/2 oz beef jerky (or save the entire oz for after lunch)
  • L - lean protein, normally go out to eat with coworker so blackened fish, clams, grilled chicken. ~1.5oz
  • S - rest 1/2 oz jerky or whole oz jerky, protein shake (normally premier or a muscle milk)
  • D - normally my left overs from lunch lol, again ~1.5oz
  • S - I'll normally eat a few sugar free popsicles while I watch tv with my wife at night

Exercise I have gotten back into weight lifting. I've also started the Couch to 5k program/app. I want to run a 5k (or several) before the end of the year, and I also want to do a sprint triathlon (500yard swim, 12mi bike, 3.1mi run)

Seems majority of members here feel exercise does not help weight loss. Theres some studies that show it doesnt really help, but there are also studies that show it does. Regardless, its great for your body if you have something you enjoy doing and is not too impactful beyond your comfort (as in, your joints hurting). Swimming is great. Cycling is, too. Weight lifting can be. As long as you are elevating your heart rate, you're doing nothing but helping yourself (think about it, stairs will be easier, hills, chasing kids, etc). Weight lifting increases your metabolic advantage for a prolonged period compared to cardio. Weight lifting will also generate muscle (slowly) that increases your basal metabolic rate.

Find something youre interested in and go for it. You may not like some things and find you like others :) I strongly encourage ANYONE to be active, in some form or fashion.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/26/16 6:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Exercise is great for you-- really, anything you can do will be helpful. You'll see many long-timers (and scientific researchers!) tell you that "you can't out-exercise a bad diet" and it's pretty much true: exercise won't make or break your loss, especially early on during the "honeymoon" period.

Do whatever you can, and whatever you LIKE, since that's what you can stick to. Walking? Yoga? Water aerobics? Cycling? Go easy at first, listen to your body, and try do do SOMETHING a few times a week. You'll find that exercise becomes much easier as you lose weight, and you might surprise yourself by enjoying it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active