Vitamins for newbies?

idnas
on 7/28/16 10:15 am
VSG on 08/05/16

I am 1 week out from surgery (pre-op), so I'm trying to get things together to prepare for the big day. My doc gave me 3 different types of bariatric vitamin choices, and I see the ad on this page for the vitamin patches, so I was wondering what others are taking that are not too terrible.  Also, if we are on clear liquids for the first week, how do we get the protein in or where do you get the unflavored protein from? I guess I'm a little confused on that one. Thanks for any help you can give me!

HW: 312 SW: 294 CW: 225

Starry Eyed
on 7/28/16 10:38 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Hi there!  Congrats on your upcoming surgery!  I've been taking the Bariatric Fusion vitamins since before surgery.  I'm taking 4 per day as recommended by my doc.  If you can get your hands on some samples I would try each flavor first to see which ones you like after surgery.  Right now I'm on a bottle of the wild cherry ones, they're good but I plan to try the orange next time for a more subtle flavor.

For the clear liquids I recall drinking a lot of broth and jello.  Unjury makes an unflavored protein powder that worked well in the broth (they even have a chicken broth flavored powder).  Just a word of warning though, only buy what you will need for the first week or 2 though, because once you are allowed to venture out into other protein shakes and pureed food you will not want to go back and use up extra unflavored protein powder...mine's still in the cupboard!

I would also recommend Isopure Zero Carb (I found it at GNC).  It's clear and not too sweet and has 40g of protein per bottle.

Lastly, after surgery I was told to focus on water intake first and protein second because our bodies can survive without the protein for a bit, but no****er!  Just do your best with the protein, as you heal you will be able to get closer to/reach your goals.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your progress!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/16 10:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I take a standard multivitamin, the generic version of Centrum. I had to split the pills in half at first and swallow each separately with some time in-between. No trouble with that.

Check with your surgeon about protein requirements for the first week. Honestly, I was just worried about keeping anything down in the first week and didn't do any protein until week 2, "full liquids." There are a few kinds of clear protein drinks available, look for Syntrax or Isopure brands.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 7/28/16 10:41 am

I use the multivitamin patch. I had been low in a few areas for the first few years postop despite taking supplements. The patch got my levels in the normal range. I also take the calcium with d3 patch now. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anita
on 7/28/16 11:52 am

First of all....best of everything with your upcoming surgery. I'm almost 8 weeks out and very happy with my decision (revision from Lapband).

I use the patches also. They work well for me as I am not good with pills - either I forget to take them or I gag on them if I have to take more than one or two. I use the multi-vitamin and the omega3. I've also just started with the CoQ10. Am considering the Garcinia Cambrogia too, but not totally ready to go with that one yet as I want to run it by my surgeon. I find the patches very convenient.....my morning routine is shower, tooth brushing, make-up, patches.....dress.....food.....pack lunch.....out the door....and in between all of this, I'm drinking my water.

Check out the 30% discount on the patches....they are more expensive than pills, but the discount helps and for me, the convenience is the best part.

Be sure to check back with us all after you have your surgery to let us know how  you are.....and then we can officially welcome you to the Loser's Bench.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

ksflwr
on 7/28/16 6:00 pm

I ordered the Multi-Vitamins yesterday from Patch MD, but didn't see a 30% discount-how/where did you find it?  I plan on using the patch from now on.  My total cost was $25.99 for 30 patches.

Anita
on 7/28/16 6:22 pm

If you look at the square ad on the bottom of the page (third from left - at least on my page, that's where it shows up)....at the top it shows 30% discount - use code ObesityHelp.

If you put that information in the dialogue box on the order form, they will automatically apply the discount. I'm not sure they will be able to help you on this order, but drop them a note tonight letting them know that you missed seeing the discount option. They are WONDERFUL and perhaps they will be able to do something for you on that.

Either way, I'm very happy with my patches. My only suggestion is that you need to take them off before going in the shower because for some reason once they are wet, they stick like Crazy Glue.....the rest of the time, they just stick really well.....even when I've gotten sweaty.

I think you'll like the convenience of the patched....I definitely do.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

ksflwr
on 7/29/16 5:23 am

Thank you.

Valerie G.
on 7/29/16 5:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have been on patches for a year now, and am awaiting my lab results from Monday's blood draw.  For the beginning, at least, they would be much easier as your stomach is healing.  My hopes are that my labs will allow me to continue taking them as my sole resource.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

petra65
on 7/30/16 4:27 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I use Celebrate Vitamins.  If you go to their website you can order a sample pack for $3 and try several out becore you decide.  I like the soft chews personally.  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Most Active