1 month post-op, please help

Lasgesq
on 7/28/16 1:57 pm
VSG on 06/30/16

I posted not too long ago about being in a "stall" with my weight loss. I lost over 30 pounds before and immediately after my surgery on 6/29/16. However, i have GAINED 2 pounds since 7/11/16. I am so frustrated! My nut says I need to consistently consume 800 calories to get my metabolism going again. Can you please share what you ate/are eating during the puree phase and thereafter? I find it so challenging to get in that many calories each day with healthy protein rich foods. I have a busy job and cannot just nibble on food all day long and appreciate any suggestions. I am at my wits end and feel like a total failure. I am forcing myself to try to get in soup at 11pm to increase my calorie intake and it seems impossible. Thank you. 

SherBear1481
on 7/28/16 3:02 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

I had my surgery on the same day. I just met with my nut yesterday and am still on a mechanical soft diet

There are some of the items I eat:

Cottage Cheese, Refried Beans with cheese (sometimes I put sour cream or hot sauce in it), hummus, eggs, applesauce, laughing cow cheese, tuna, chicken salad, mashed potatoes, greek yogurt, oatmeal, sugar free pudding, soups, steamed/soft veggies with no seeds or skins, etc. 

I pack my lunch and try to set reminders for eating. I suck at getting my fluids in, so that is my weakness at the moment. 

It's a work in progress, you are not a failure. It just takes some trial and error! 

CMR1075
on 7/28/16 7:51 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Oh my gosh...lived off refried beans with a little cheese and taco sauce. It was one of the only things that tasted so good to me! I loved heating up a little ricotta cheese and marinara sauce. 

Starry Eyed
on 7/28/16 4:40 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I struggled to get enough calories in the pureed stage as well and one staple was (and continues to be) tuna and hummus.  Hummus still has a small bit of protein but adds the calories that I need.  I love the sweet and spicy tuna packets.  So, I would have 1/2 packet (1.3oz) mixed with 1 oz of roasted red pepper hummus- it ends up being 10g of protein and 120 calories.  

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Murk
on 7/29/16 7:48 am
VSG on 07/11/16

For added calories and extra protein, try Fairlife fat-free milk. 90 calories and 13g protein a cup.

My NUT says they'd like me drinking 3 cups a day. That would get you an extra 270 calories and 39g of protein and it counts towards your fluids, obviously. The calcium is really important as well.

This way you wouldn't have to nibble all day long. Just take a thermos of milk. You could even add more protein to it, to flavor it if you wanted.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/29/16 11:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your nutritionist says you're going into "starvation mode" due to too few calories? That's complete bunk. Most folks average about 600 cal during the first month or two. 

We get a bit spoiled in the first week post-op when the scale moves a lot. It will most likely never do that again. At that point, your body gets used to things and it slows to a more normal pace.

When you add soup, what kind is it? How many carbs? Carbs can generally slow things down a bit. People seem to shoot for under 40.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KTnj63
on 7/29/16 6:11 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

My surgery was 7/7 I eat egg salad with low fat mayo, or poached egg Also tuna fish with l.f. Mayo, grilled salmon, blackened talapia with some guacamole. I still take a premier protein shake for breakfast and if I'm low on protein I add 1/2 a shake before bed.  I have had no problem with my food but I measure everything and chew everything to death. Usually have about 2 oz at each meal.  Good luck

Most Active