Clothing Size Crack

jesuiscrystal
on 8/17/16 6:19 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Pre-VSG, I was fitting into a size 16W/18W pants. Now five weeks out, those pants are only held up by my belly rolls and the booty is sagging so very sadly. It's getting to the point of unprofessional to continue to wear these to work, as I'm a preschool teacher who has to bend and squat a lot. Unfortunately, a size 14 is pretty snug, so though I suspect a regular 16 might work, those aren't super easy to find at the Goodwill and other thrift stores. 

So my question is what in the heck am I supposed to do in the meantime? I have exactly one pair of size 16 regular jeans that fit like a glove, but 1. It's too dang hot to wear jeans. AND 2. I can't wear jeans to work. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have this problem, but it was a lot easier to fathom when I was a stay at home mom who was able to live in yoga pants. Two weeks into my school year, I have barely any pants.

Anita
on 8/17/16 6:42 pm

Great "problem" to have.....I'm sort of in the same boat, but I have pants and shirts in a variety of sizes, so it's a little easier.

Best option I can suggest is finding the smaller sizes but with elastic waistbands........that might help....in the meanwhile, for the baggy ones.......can you roll the waistband over?  That's what I've been doing with some of my capris that I'm trying to hold on to til the end of summer.....but it's getting pretty embarrassing to keep pulling them up.....the next size down is still a little tight .....grrrr.....soon we will both be able to get into those smaller ones.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

petra65
on 8/18/16 12:00 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Can you wear scrub pants to work?  I know you said you are a preschool teacher but they might work well.  I work in healthcare and scrubs have been working great for me.  You can usually find them at thrift stores, they have elastic waist, come in a variety of colors,etc.  i find I can wear these a little longer than more tailored clothing which is what I would normally wear.  You don't have to wear a scrub top with them.  Today I wore a polo shirt with scrub pants and it looked fine and was very comfortable.  Check them out next time you go to the thrift store.  I have to go this weekend again myself because my 18s are getting too big :).  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

jesuiscrystal
on 8/18/16 5:05 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

wish we could wear scrub pants, but we are a Montessori school with a pretty traditional dress code. Way back when I worked in traditional daycare, I loved my scrubs. 

Valerie G.
on 8/18/16 4:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Try for the SML-XL sizes...elastic waist with a cute longer tunic to pair them up.  The larger flowy tunic will last you a couple of size changes.

Another idea for those size 14's...if they are snug in the waist but fit your bottom okay, try some rubber bands in the loop hole.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AMAZEBALLS
on 8/18/16 5:15 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

I've been wearing dresses. They work well through size changes.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Gwen M.
on 8/18/16 5:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Pants are hard.  Ugh.  I switched to skirts shortly into my weight loss and I've never looked back.  I wear bike/athletic shorts under them so I don't flash anyone and for chub rub.  But elastic band and wrap skirts are awesome.  And I love my new "style." :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

alouisa63
on 8/18/16 5:38 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I can now wear a 14-16 trouser but for jeans I have to get a 20 to allow for my thighs.  I take them in to be an 16-18 in the waist so I feel your pain.  If you can, take in the waist on the pants you have until you are out of the size crack.  If you don't sew, or don't know someone who does, a tailoring place could do it cheap.

(and when I take them in, it's a rough job, nothing really pretty and no reconstruction of the garment but hey, it works and my pants stay up!!) 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Oneillch
on 8/18/16 5:57 am
VSG on 02/04/15

This is an exciting and fun time! I had the same problem, last August, when I went back to work after a two year hiatus. Nothing, and I mean nothing fit (pants, tops & undergarments as well). I was still in weight-loss mode so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I had to buy an outfit to interview in and when I started my new job it was in an office, so business casual was needed. I also wore a size 16, at the time, and had no patience for Goodwill. Fortunately, August is a big clearence and Back to School month in most stores. I shopped the clearence racks in Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Burlington Coat Factory and at Steinmart, I was able to do that combined with coupons.

I bought 3 pairs of pants (black, brown & blue), 3-4 assorted printed tunic-type tops and 2 cardigan-type jackets (black & beige) and a printed skirt. I selected tops and jackets that I could mix and match with the pants and skirt so that I had a multitude of outfits. By the end of December, I needed to buy new pants and bought the same colors as my tops still fit. It was Christmas and my family was able to buy me sweaters and tops (a first for me).  And, as I continued to lose weight, I started shopping at a consignment store in my area. 

Just don't go crazy right now and buy a few things that you can mix and match. You'd be surprised at how fast your body is changing, even if the scale doesn't show it. GOOD LUCK & ENJOY YOURSELF!

JoeyJo
on 8/18/16 8:00 am - NJ

The clearance rack at Kohl's with coupons and the never-ending cycle of Kohl's Kash can be equivalent to Good Will, especially for Levi's.  I shop Good Will with the rule that I have to drop off at least one big bag of donations.

Most Active