Puking up foam, not able to keep anything down 3 days post-op..

Bebotbear
on 8/18/16 8:13 am, edited 8/19/16 2:31 pm
VSG on 08/16/16

hello community! I am a 26 year old female who just had gastric sleeve on Wednesday 08/16/16. First day post-op I was in ice chips only, yesterday I tried two sips of apple juice and felt unwell. So now I'm third day post-op tried to have a Popsicle, puked it up with foam.. Had a sip of water, puked it up with foam.. Now tried a small sip of protein shake and can't keep that down either. Is this normal with this surgery this early on? I'm worried I won't get my fluid or protein in.

UPDATE! Fourth day post op I feel much better and was able to have a cup of chicken broth and a green passion smoothie. ? Thank you all for the help in responses. I'm grateful to you all that I don't feel so alone with that scary situation. I would delete this, but not sure how. Thank again!!!! ??

McLassie
on 8/18/16 9:16 am
VSG on 07/25/16

That's not normal. I would contact your MD STAT. You will get dehydrated in no time without any fluids.

heidikat72
on 8/18/16 9:18 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

If you can't keep anything down even with taking only small sips, you should probably call your surgeon's office. While I struggled to get in all my fluids the first few days - felt uncomfortable going down because of the swelling, it never came back up. have you tried different temperatures? maybe room temp or slightly warm - I will say barely warm broth was the easiest thing for me to get down intially.

Bebotbear
on 8/18/16 11:29 am
VSG on 08/16/16

I tried room temp water and it doesn't work. I'm going to try broth and see how I do. Thank you!

White Dove
on 8/18/16 9:21 am - Warren, OH

Sounds like a stricture.  The body heals up too well and nothing can go down.  Your surgeon can open it back up.  Call now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bebotbear
on 8/18/16 11:30 am
VSG on 08/16/16

Is the reopening kind of another anesthesia procedure?

White Dove
on 8/19/16 10:31 am - Warren, OH

The surgeon will put you under and then insert a balloon that he inflates and it opens up the stricture.  It will be done in a few minutes.  If you are still vomiting, please call.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bebotbear
on 8/19/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 08/16/16

Thank you all for trying to help me I feel much better now today being my fourth day post-op!!! I was able to have a cup of chicken broth AND a green passion smoothie, taking small sips but it all went down. I'm happy I know I can hydrate!!!!! Thank you guys again! I'll be taking the post down soon..

Bebotbear
on 8/19/16 2:28 pm
VSG on 08/16/16

I'm just so happy I have a kind of distant support team of people like me!!! Thank you all again!

bandgirl
on 8/19/16 10:03 am

I haven't heard of the stricture and the surgeon open it back up.  Could you explain this a little more?

Most Active