The parrot vs. the toilet

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 2:56 pm

For obvious reasons, I'm looking for something to help things along in the bathroom. It's been a struggle ever since surgery 1 1/2 years ago, and I'm getting tired of it.

What is the safest supplement to take long-term? Should it be a stool softener, a laxative or a fiber supplement? A combination of them? All advice and comments welcome here.

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

jachristmas
on 8/28/16 3:14 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I haven't had surgery yet but I have seen many many posts suggesting Mira lax to be very helpful. There are plenty of experienced people on here who should be able to help. 

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 7:00 pm

I did go on Miralax last year, but it didn't agree with me. My stomach was unsettled and I felt a bit queasy. But it did work. Maybe I should try it again and see if my GI system can handle it better now. Thanks.

psychoticparrot

acbbrown
on 8/28/16 3:17 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I dealt with that issue for years. The only solution for me is either a rx lactulose or miralax. The thing with miralax those is that it doesn't work well when you are already backed up. If you need to go ASAP, magnesium citrate is the best solution for me. Then daily miralax. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happyteacher
on 8/28/16 3:19 pm

Kombucha. Swear it works. Trader Joes or Whole Foods, and typically found at health food markets. Located in the refridgerated section. Down a bottle, next day should see some movement. Loaded with probiotics :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 6:56 pm

Never heard of kombucha before, so I googled it. The article I read about it says that if you drink it unpasteurized, it may be unsafe. If you drink it pasteurized, the probiotics do not survive and their potential benefit is lost. Can you suggest a reliable unpasteurized brand that is safe to drink?

psychoticparrot

happyteacher
on 8/29/16 2:28 pm

I started drinking the brand "GT" at first, and it was the pasteurized version. This stuff did help with the heart burn. GT also does sell the unpastuerized stuff in some states where it is allowed. I believe it is in brown bottles instead of clear bottles, but it should say on the bottle itself. Trader Joes and Whole Food sells it. Here in Michigan I can find the unpasturezed stuff at Whole Food. So, long story short just look for GT in the clear bottle, read the label to confirm it is pasturized if you are concerned with that. GT is the most popular brand in the U.S., so you should be able to locate some near you.  

People react differently- don't drink more than 10 ounces at first, and it might be better if you even start with 4 ounces or so. See how it agrees with you first. For heartburn it took drinking it for a couple of days before I really noticed a difference. For constipation, my daughter finds relief after 1 bottle (20 ounce) the following day.  If it doesn't agree with you apparently it might cause diarehea... this is what happend with my home brew as it was MUCH stronger than what I bought. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 8/30/16 10:06 am

I checked my local Harris Teeter website and they carry GT unpasteurized kombucha. They even have a raspberry-chia flavor (pasteurized). Another poster on this thread has recommended chia seed pudding. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds with this GT flavor! I'll pick up some chia seeds while I'm there too. 

I'm a'goin' shoppin' today!

psychoticparrot

Renren
on 8/28/16 3:41 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

Miralax and a Squatty Potty. Look up Squatty Potty online. Works for me.. They can now be purchased in retail stores. mine was about twenty dollars.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Neesie57
on 8/28/16 4:40 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Squatty Potty will change your life, and I mean that in the best possible way.  It puts your body in the best position to use the potty and you will love it.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active