Today was a struggle!

dimpleslya79
on 9/24/16 8:35 pm
VSG on 08/09/16

Today was such a struggle for me! Tuesday made 6 weeks post op so I was able to start eating a soft diet.  It seems up to that point, I really wasn't craving any of the junk that got me in this predicament in the first place.  Well, slowly the cravings have been returning and today I REALLY wanted chips.  Pre-surgery I wasn't much of a chips fan but today I almost succumbed.  It's like now all the bad thinking is returning and I find myself wondering if I could just try a few and it won't hurt, or maybe a scoop of ice-cream (which was my BIGGEST weakness pre-surgery).  It's making me very nervous because I didn't today but the thoughts/cravings are getting stronger.  My plan is to resist but are the cravings really supposed to be back this quick!?!?

WL: Pre-op: -14.2 M1: -19.2 M2:-16.6 M3: -15 M4: -12.8 M5: -12.6

M6: -11.2 M7: -6.8 M8: -5.8 Total: 114.2 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/16 10:52 pm

Hi! I'm preop, so I have no personal advice regarding life's post surgery. However, I'm so sorry your fighting the craving dragon! Keep up the fight. 

I myself have actually gone to counseling for addictive behaviors (including over eating). One thing I was continuously taught was that if  I just tried to white knuckle it and just resist cravings, I might succeed for a while. But ultimately I WILL lose against those desires. When we take something bad out of our life, we must replace it with something good. And we must have a plan of action. For example, my biggest craving was a Big Mac and a large doctor pepper-my weakness. When that craving hits I have to go to my plan of action! For me that looks like 1. Writing out my craving and why I want it 2. Think about the positives and negatives 3 ask "will I be pleased with myself when I lay in bed at night knowing I ate that" 4. If the answer is "no" what will I do to not eat it. 5. I will....fill in the blank... (Call my mom, go make hummus, go for a walk, etc).

If for some reason I do give into temptation I have a designated "food accountability buddy" that I MUST tell when and what I ate or over ate. No conversation needed just a brief text where I have to admit my actions

this has helped me greatly. Hopefully it can do the same for you. Sorry the post is so long!

dimpleslya79
on 9/25/16 5:37 am
VSG on 08/09/16

Thanks for the response!  That is definitely a good idea.  I will try it out.  The main reason I didn't eat it was because I knew I would be so mad at myself after the fact!!!  

cappy11448
on 9/25/16 7:14 am

I like your idea of taking some time to think and write before giving into the urge to eat, and I think the strategy to have  other activities to replace the "eating behavior" is key to success.  I had been doing that more actively in the past, and I need to get back to it.

Lately, I've just been white-knuckling it, and then I get to feeling deprived, and that leads to feeling sorry for myself, which leads to wanting to comfort myself with food.  Not a good cycle!

thanks for posting this.  Its good "food for thought!"

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 9/25/16 12:02 am - Warren, OH

After surgery, I invested in ways to have the things that I craved.  I bought an ice cream maker and made my protein shakes into protein ice cream.

I bought high protein chips.  I purchased sugar-free hard candies and chocolates.  I found protein bars that I loved.  I did not do much white knuckling, but I did spend money.

I no longer crave those treats, but for several years I had protein ice cream at least once a day and lunch usually included a small side of Kay's Natural protein chips.  I followed Eggface's recipes for muffins, cookies, ricotta bake and other treats.

I lived on high protein, sugar-free, and low calorie foods.  For me, it worked.  I also worked with a psychologist and dietitian.  I wanted to have a slim, healthy body for the rest of my life.

I really recommend Quest Nutrition.  Their products are not identical to the things that make us fat and unhealthy.  They are healthy versions that do not taste good enough to binge on.  There is no magic, you still need to measure your portions and track your protein and calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dimpleslya79
on 9/25/16 5:45 am
VSG on 08/09/16

I am going to have to look into the products you mentioned and check out Eggface!  I would rather spend a little extra money than start gaining EXTRA weight!!!  Thanks for your response!

psychoticparrot
on 9/25/16 8:57 am

Cravings are strange animals. I often have days, even weeks, when I eat on plan without any problem. Then, while in the supermarket, an intense craving for sweets comes out of nowhere that's so strong I have to stop, close my eyes, and just tough it out until it passes, which it nearly always does. 

I'm a year and 8 months post-op, and I still have to struggle with cravings from time to time. They will never go away completely. You're still recovering from surgery, so you can expect cravings and other sometimes bizarre symptoms until you're fully healed. The cravings should subside once you're eating a normal diet of high-protein healthy foods. In the meantime, maybe have some salty chicken broth instead of chips or a SF fudgsicle to taste something sweet instead of ice cream. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

dimpleslya79
on 9/26/16 4:40 am
VSG on 08/09/16

Thanks for the response!

Most Active