4 Days Since Sleeve & Obsessed with an Egg.

DakotaCJ
on 10/16/16 8:47 am

4 Days since VGS and I am worhipping the egg?

Oct 16, 2016

Greetings All,

My apologies if I am using this forum incorrectly. This is my first post. I had the vertical sleeve done Wednesday with minimal complications, if you ignore the bronchitis (not related to surgery.) My doctor has moved me to stage 2. I have yet to find a great location for approved foods on each stage. This also gets complicated because each doctor seems to have his own approach. So my questions are this;

• Are scrambled eggs considered stage 2?
  • Is it OK to have raw oysters at stage 3 and above?
  • Is there a comprehsive app or destination where I could find some answers.

I can certainly stay on the diet. I am not really hungry but I keep staring down this egg in the fridge. I would love to finish off my obsession.

Many thanks to all-

AK_Gipson
on 10/16/16 9:04 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I wasn't moved to stage 2 for 2 weeks after surgery. 4 days seems short to me :) funny how docs are different.

Your surgeon should have given you the information on what foods for what stages they find acceptable. 2.5 years out, I don't know where my notebook is, but they had printouts for everything!

That said if you are approved for stage 2 (mushy) I think, you could try a soft scrambled egg. Or maybe boiled? I wouldn't fry it at all. Don't be surprised if if does go down, or stay down.. Or you can only handle a bite or two. 

Even as I say this I am leery of the advice because I couldnt eat it that early out. And I'm hoping it doesn't make you sick. Trust me, throwing up will HURT. I just don't know if I'd try it 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

DakotaCJ
on 10/16/16 9:15 am

Thank you AK!

I completely understand the throwing. My bronchitis makes me cough and I feel like I will shoot out an Alien like Ellen Ripley.

I am approved for #2 by my doctor but the list is milk, cream of wheat, yogurt, and strained soup. All of those things are incredibly appealing ;)

Thanks for the help

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/16/16 2:25 pm

Clearly eggs are not on a list. For many of us eggs are really hard to digest at the beginning.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Joshua H.
on 10/16/16 9:10 am
VSG on 10/26/16

As you said, every doctor is different.

Stage 2 with my doctor: Clear liquids without added sugar - 2 oz max per hour.

Stage 3 (discharge): Stage 2 + liquid protein supplement - 2-4 oz total liquid per hour.  45 to 60g protein daily.

Joshua H.
on 10/16/16 9:11 am
VSG on 10/26/16

...real (soft) food doesn't start until Stage 4, which is started at the discretion of the doctor -- which sounds like either day 4, or day 15 -- depending on your interpretation of the guidelines in the packet.

DakotaCJ
on 10/16/16 9:23 am

Thank you Josh,

What I know is my doctor approved me to move to Phase 2. I meet with him this week for first pop-op (outside hospital). I will also meet with his dietician where I can ask more questions. I'm not looking for interpretive ways to read my menu. I have just seen that some people have had scrambled eggs in stage 2. I want to follow rules because it's bad karma to cheat against yourself.

I appreciate your feedback & look forward to chatting more.

AK_Gipson
on 10/16/16 9:42 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I think the confusion is in the stages. You guys seem to have more stages than me. Just eat what is one the list. 

stage one was clear liquids (2 weeks, until checkup).

Stage 2 mushy foods, like fat free refried beans with a lil cheese, banana protein ice cream, and cottage cheese topped with speghetti sauce... My 3 main staples. LOL  lasted about 2 weeks

STAGE 3 starting with soft foods : eggs, tuna, ... My mind went blank I can't remember what else I ate.

then it was slowly introducing foods to see what you can tolerate. To this day (2.5 years out) I still don't know whether I can eat a stea****il the first bite. Sometimes yes and sometimes it's a big fat NO

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

fiercebynature
on 10/16/16 10:00 am

It's very confusing . All the hospitals have slightly different diets. Just stick to what what is approved for you unless you can call in and ask.  The first month was very boring but I just told myself it's so my sleeve can heal without issue . I also tell myself constantly " you can have that but later" 

i didn't have scrambled eggs until I was ready for soft food . I'd wait and ask about the oyster! 

Good luck ! 

Donna L.
on 10/16/16 10:12 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Whether or not eggs are stage 2 depends on your doctor.  I could not eat them physically even though they were allowed.

As for raw fish and shellfish, I waited six months to eat raw food of any sort again.  It was very hard on my stomach, and was painful to eat.  I had a very sensitive sleeve, and still do for some things.  Thing is, cooked food is far easier to digest and break down even for people with unaltered anatomy.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views