One week post op!

Babygotsleeved
on 12/5/16 4:19 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

It's been an interesting first week. Surgery and hernia repair went well. Had such horrible chest/shoulder pain they had to test me to see if I was having a heart attack in the recovery room. I wasn't. The hernia repair really irritated my diaphragm and the pain is referred to the upper back/shoulder area. Then I was told they found a small tumor in the part of the stomach that was removed and it is being tested. Not what I expected to hear! Still waiting on a pathology report, but the doctor says he is not worried about it. I left the hospital the next afternoon drinking well and tolerating the full liquid diet. Now for some TMI. I ended up an impacted rectum after a couple of days. Not fun, very painful, but treated successfully.

Now at one week, doing soooooo much better! I'm able to drink 8 cups of liquid as well as getting in at least 70g protein and learning how to add in 20g fiber, too. Protein shakes tend to make me nauseous now, but my doctor allows blended, thinned and protein supplimented soups such as bean, lentil and beef vegetable. A half cup of one of these soups takes me at least a half an hour to sip, and it's really helping me feel stronger.

Thank you all for all the positive thoughts and encouraging posts leading up to my surgery! Can't wait to see how this procedure will affect my life and health in the future. I am truly blessed!

Anita
on 12/5/16 6:30 pm

Sounds like you've had a rough ride so far, but things seem to be looking up.....GREAT!!!

For about 2 months after surgery, everything tasted different to me and the things I loved before suddenly turned my stomach....and things I never liked suddenly looked appealing.....strange for sure.

Gradually, things went back to normal with my tastebuds and life is better with food....the hardest part for me was tha****er tasted awful and I had to disguise it....now that too is fine and I generally get between 60 and 80 oz daily.

I'm six months out tomorrow and the only regret.....as everyone else says....I wish I had done it sooner.

Keep on with that positive attitude you are showing and the sky is the limit.....you're doing great!

Oh.....and welcome to the Loser's Bench!!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

mjbrice_83
on 12/7/16 8:49 am
VSG on 12/01/16

I will pray for your continued healing and successful progress moving forward. Happy one week!!! Mine will be on Thursday :)

Most Active