Can sleeves stretch?

Hi everyone!

I had a sleeve about 6 years ago and have very slowly put on weight. I don't overeat, but I do eat small meals throughout the day. I feel it takes a bit more to make me feel satisfied than it did in the beginning.

Am going to visit my surgeon on Wednesday and am wondering what she will say. 

I'd love to hear from anyone here who has had problems with their sleeve this far out.

Many thanks!,

Lucy

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

Donna L.
on 1/22/17 10:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

One of the downsides to the sleeve, or any bariatric procedure really, is that you cannot rely on restriction any longer.  Capacity increases as swelling goes down.  It doesn't stretch like the RNY pouch stretches if done correctly; the fundus, the part of the stomach which stretches, is primarily excised when they create the sleeve.  

Does it stretch?  Ehhh.  Maybe if you consistently overeat.  You'd have to eat to the point of sickness on a regular basis for years.  More likely, food is sitting above the esophageal sphincter that cannot get into the sleeve.  The esophagus can stretch much more easily.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/17 5:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You say you don't overeat, so size of your stomach shouldn't matter.

There is more than one way to overeat:

1. You can eat too much volume at one sitting.
  2. You can eat higher calorie, low volume foods.
  3. You can eat reasonable amounts, but too often.

There are lots of ways to eat too many calories. The best way to combat it is to start weighing and logging every bite you eat. Track every last calorie. The only way to lose the regain is to cut back.

Every last one of us can eat more in year 4 than we could in year 1. Whether or not the stomach stretched doesn't matter. It's harder, that's for sure. The work gets harder too.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Rachel B.
on 1/23/17 7:40 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I gained.  But I stopped eating right.  Ate a lot of carbs and sliders and foods that got me fat to begin with.  And I won't even begin with the alcohol... 

Since 15OCT16, I'm back on track.  My restriction is on par with what it was after surgery, and I've lost 31 pounds.  I would suggest getting back into your post surgical diet: lean protein, low carb veggies and fruits, water and exercise.  You may find your tool still works.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Chesa67
on 1/23/17 8:08 am

Hi! I'm so glad to see your post. I am having the same issue! I feel like I have forgotten everything since whatever I was doing for those 7 years seemed to work. Congratulations on your loss. Did you still need to use shakes to reach your protein? What is your goal for protein now?

One other question . I alway had my nose run when I was full and now that has stopped?!

Thank you!

Rachel B.
on 1/24/17 4:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

My nose still runs, I get the slimies (worse now since I'm eating right again).  No pain under my sternum, for better or worse.  Yes I do use protein shakes & bars to get my protein over100g/day.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

rachelp
on 1/23/17 9:02 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Eat only meat and you will find that you still have restriction. All it takes is 100 extra calories a day to put on 10 lbs a year. 100 calories are those few extra bites here and there that add up or that 1 extra snack.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Kara D.
on 1/24/17 6:57 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Your post and the replies are a big help. I am working to get back to the basics and lose more weight. I often wonder about the stomach stretching and these answers really help. Thank you for posing this question! 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Valerie G.
on 1/24/17 4:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Of course your sleeve stretches!  That being said, it won't get anywhere near the size it started. 

For instance, I'm 11 yrs out.  My stomach was about 2 oz at first, and now it's around 10-12 oz.  I can still maintain good control with that, and I'm pleased because I can kick protein shakes and bars and eat plenty of protein the old fashioned way.  

Knowing that, it's time to be more mindful about what you're eating.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active