Needing motivation and encouragement to get back on track

Kara D.
on 1/24/17 6:37 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I'm almost 21 months post-op and I've lost 98 pounds. The last 6 or 7 weeks I've lost my motivation to exercise and follow my daily routine of healthy eating. I find myself eating too many carbs, drinking pop and not getting my protein. I have problems with winter depression (I'm bipolar with chronic depression) and I think it's setting in. I see my psychiatrist on Feb 1 so I'll a dress it with her also.

I saw a reply to a post by I pray from Gwen M who listed the basics and it really hit home. It's time to get back to those I just need some extra encouragement! 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Gwen M.
on 1/24/17 7:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You CAN do this.  It's definitely hard in the winter - I've got SAD and there are days I want to do nothing.  But, we can do this.  We're stronger than we know :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kara D.
on 1/25/17 3:40 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Thank you. The SAD along with the bipolar 2 makes winter harder for me. I just need reminded how strong in really am.

DakotaCJ
on 1/25/17 6:11 am

Gwen you are always a positive mentor. Thank you for being such a beacon

Hiraeth
on 1/24/17 8:29 am
VSG on 08/04/16

My sister was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and depression. I know how it can be. She is having a hard time right now, and lacks motivation. Are you taking anything for your condition? I'm glad you will be talking to your doctor about this. Do your best to stay away from carbs; don't buy them. Try your best to go into the store and just buy high protein items. It's definitely a challenge, but you can do this!

Kara D.
on 1/25/17 3:46 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I am Bipolar 2 also, so I understand the struggle she is/will have getting stable and staying that way. I wish the best of luck. I take a stimulant daily which does help get me moving, but during the winter I have to work at it to keep me motivated. I also take antidepressants and mood stabalizers.

I am trying to get back to the basics with pritein, protein, protein and lots of water. I went to the gym yesterday and felt good to be back there. I'm going to job on the treadmill when I get home from work this afternoon to keep moving. It's truck day at work so I'll have exercise built into my work day, but 30 or 40 minutes an the treadmill is always good.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hiraeth
on 1/25/17 7:24 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Thank you so much for posting this. I worry a lot about my sister. She is in denial about her Bipolar 2, and she has gotten worse ever since she was diagnosed. It's awful. She is currently on Lamictal and Seroquel, but they don't work as much as we hoped. I mean, they prevent her from having angry outbursts as often, but she's still feeling a lack of motivation. She can't take regular SSRI's because she said they make her feel horrible. I think the only antidepressant that actually helped her, was Effexor (SNRI). But she thinks it made her pull out all of her hair (she also has Trichotillomania). We had a lot of childhood trauma, and we both developed OCD. Thankfully, I'm not Bipolar. But I feel bad that she has it. I feel so helpless because I want to help her. Did you have any denial when you were first diagnosed?

Proud of you for pushing through and motivating yourself to get back on track! How are you doing today? :)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/24/17 9:12 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Go Kara Go, go,go,go! Ok it's a dorky cheer lol., but really Good Luck to you, You can do this! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/24/17 9:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have bipolar and tend towards depression as well, it SUCKS when your mental health saps your motivation to stay on plan. But you can do this! I have faith in you!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kara D.
on 1/25/17 3:50 am
VSG on 03/02/15

It really does suck! Being bipolar 2 I've learned to deal with the depression and ask for help when I need it. Thank you for the encouragement!

Most Active