Happy Sunday - Just need some tips

hayleyskinner1394
on 2/19/17 8:27 pm

Hey all... 

So i need some pointers on optifast... or what are your recommendations on other protein shakes?? so i need to drink 4 a day... however... i cant seem to get out of my hunger.. is this normal... my family will eat like pork chops or something.. and they will say ..dont you want one.. you can have one ? they are good for you.. i end up caving in and eating one... and then find my self feeling guilt.. good news tho.. i am 3 lbs down and need to loose 3 more lbs what can give me a boost to loose 3 lbs.. so i can hurry up and get my surgery scheduled! 

I have find my self drinking tea ( unsweet) and the other day when the lady mistakenly gave me sweettea.. it tasted sooo syrupy... (so thats good right! especially from a girl whose from the south ..who loves her sweet tea?) 

Any tips or tricks will help.. Thank you! 

also tell me what protein shakes you have done..and if that helped you.

HAyley

Mary Gee
on 2/20/17 3:40 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

First, I have a question..... you appear to be on the 14 day pre-op liquid diet, but you also say you need to get your surgery date scheduled.  Could you explain that?

The first days are the hardest.... usually the hunger leaves after four days.  Have you tried sugar-free pops, chicken broth, sugar-free jello?  Maybe when your family is having dinner you can occupy yourself somewhere else... take a walk or go to your room, etc.  Also, there are a variety of flavors of protein powder, including fruit nectars.  You can get sample packets at netrition.com.

Best of luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 2/20/17 5:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Talk with your family NOW and set clear boundaries with them.  Tell them that these are the lifestyle changes you are making and that they need to stop trying to sabotage you.  If they refuse, do NOT be with them while they're eating and let them know that this is a consequence of their behavior.  You need to do what's right for you right now and if your family won't respect your choices, remove yourself from the situations where they try to sabotage you.  

It's normal for the first 3-4 days of a liquid diet to SUCK a lot.  And eating things you're not supposed to makes the time that sucks even longer because you're not able to withdraw quickly - you're extending your withdrawal period which just causes more difficulty.  

So, shakes.  I have been using Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate since pre-op, which means I've been drinking 1-5 a day (depending on where my diet progression has been) for a bit over three years now. (I could have solid food for breakfast, but I've never liked eating solid food first thing in the morning and that didn't change with surgery - since I need to eat breakfast now, the shakes work for me.)  I mix it with unsweetened almond milk in either original or vanilla, and I use a Blender Bottle to do this.  Very easy and tasty.  Sometimes I'll add a little Syntrax Mint Cookie for the mint flavor.  Yum.  I keep on expecting to get tired of my shake, but I haven't yet.  Except for the end of the post-op liquid phase when I think most of us are REALLY SICK OF LIQUIDS by then.  

I hope this helps.  

Also, if you haven't scheduled surgery yet, why are you doing 4 shakes a day and a liquid diet?  If you're just trying to lose weight pre-op and work on diet modification, you might be better off with a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch and then an appropriately portioned protein-forward meal of real food for dinners.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ladygodiva1228
on 2/20/17 7:47 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On February 20, 2017 at 4:27 AM Pacific Time, hayleyskinner1394 wrote:

Hey all... 

So i need some pointers on optifast... or what are your recommendations on other protein shakes?? so i need to drink 4 a day... however... i cant seem to get out of my hunger.. is this normal... my family will eat like pork chops or something.. and they will say ..dont you want one.. you can have one ? they are good for you.. i end up caving in and eating one... and then find my self feeling guilt.. good news tho.. i am 3 lbs down and need to loose 3 more lbs what can give me a boost to loose 3 lbs.. so i can hurry up and get my surgery scheduled! 

I have find my self drinking tea ( unsweet) and the other day when the lady mistakenly gave me sweettea.. it tasted sooo syrupy... (so thats good right! especially from a girl whose from the south ..who loves her sweet tea?) 

Any tips or tricks will help.. Thank you! 

also tell me what protein shakes you have done..and if that helped you.

HAyley

I'll admit I am a bit confused by what you are asking. 

Why are you doing a liquid diet if you haven't been scheduled for your surgery yet?

Why are you letting your family sabotage you?  If you allow that to happen after you have surgery you will be right back to where you started. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

hayleyskinner1394
on 2/20/17 4:24 pm

Thank u all! I'm doing the  liquid  diet because I have to loose 6lbs to be submitted to the insurance .and your right i.should stop.being sabattoged.. I have to get more protein shakes from the doctor ...i will get back on track ..thank you for both of yalls opinions 

happyteacher
on 2/20/17 5:00 pm

Preop is rough, but it really helps to get you closer to the habits you are looking to develop along with shedding some of the weight. IMHO it was critical to my getting to goal, so stick with it to the very best of your ability. I relied on shakes a lot during with weight loss phase. My most used was Premier Protein RTD chocolate. I also early out from surgery used Jarrow unflavored protein powder to add it to food to up the protein levels. Eventually I started to tire of the shakes, and used powder to blend into chocolate shakes (Vitamix, chocolate powder, water/skim mil**** cubes, Torani sf syrup).From there I started using coffee flavored options like Chike. Now a days I don't use them as much, but always do best calorically on the days that I do. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active