Hair Loss Post Op

CdngirlinNC
on 7/25/14 7:44 am

Hello, I had VSG on July 7th and am trying to prepare for potential hair loss.  Is this a common side effect of WLS or not necessarily?  Is there anything I should be doing now to reduce or avoid this side effect?  I have my hair colour treated every six weeks presently (roots and highlights).  Is there any reason why I should not continue this routine?  Any advice is most appreciated.  Thanks.

Trudy

VSG 07/07/14

Gwen M.
on 7/25/14 8:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It is common and here's why!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telogen_effluvium

There's nothing you can do to prevent it.  I'm not sure about the coloring - hopefully someone else will!  I'm planning on having my hair colored about a week before my 5 month surgiversary.  Hopefully it won't all fall out ;)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CdngirlinNC
on 7/25/14 9:26 pm

Thank you!

VSG 07/07/14

Hislady
on 7/25/14 12:34 pm - Vancouver, WA

Should be just fine to color your hair, you don't malabsorb with the sleeve so coloring is just fine.

CdngirlinNC

Thank you!

VSG 07/07/14

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/14 12:37 pm - OH

There is no reason not to have your hair colored as usual.  There really isn't anything you can do to control the telogen effluvium OR to make it worse (unless you don't get in your necessary protein and vitamins for a long period of time). 

Most people experience some hair loss, but how much varies greatly from person to person.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CdngirlinNC

Thank you!

VSG 07/07/14

White Dove
on 7/25/14 8:21 pm - Warren, OH

I started doing hair in 1968. Back then doctors would advise women to only gain about 10 pounds during a pregnancy.  I used to see a lot of hair loss in women a few months after they delivered their babies.  Losing one tooth per baby was also considered pretty normal back then.  Then in the early 70's ob-gyns began telling women to gain 25 pounds with a pregnancy.  

I never remember seeing hair loss in women who had gained 25, 35, 40 or more pounds during their pregnancy.  I am pretty sure that the pregnancy hair loss I used to see was from malnutrition and that the hair loss after surgery is basically from being malnourished.  Not that it is related, but I also observed that many women who had two, three or more pregnancies seemed to retain their hair, teeth, and also about ten pounds of added weight with each baby. 

You are going to be eating a lot less food than you did in the past and the body is going to use that nourishment for things that are vital.  Hair is basically just decorative to the body.  It will grow back again when other needs have been met.  Hair loss usually starts about month three and continues until about month eight.  Hair does not really seem healthy during the first year.

Coloring has no effect on this type of hair loss.  The best advise I would give you is to think of the temporary hair loss as part of the price for the weight loss.  Make sure to take your supplements and protein.  Keep your hair clean and consider a vinegar rinse to keep the scalp a  bit acidic.  New growth seems to do the best when the scalp is kept clear of any follicle clogging substances.  The miracle shampoos and conditioners that are sold to make hair grow work by making the scalp acidic.  You can do that with an ounce of vinegar in a glass of water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CdngirlinNC
on 7/25/14 9:25 pm

That is great information - thank you for taking the time.

VSG 07/07/14

gram247
on 7/28/14 7:18 pm

The nutritionist said the hair loss occurs because of decrease in protein consumption. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1353 views