Job interview before surgery

smilingsarahjo
on 9/19/14 12:03 am - Middletown, OH

Hey guys!

I'm in month 2 of my six months supervised diet (insurance requires). I know my insurance covers surgery and that I meet qualifications and that my surgeon is a covered provider. So I'm confident surgery will happen. Just not the timing.

I have a job interview next week and I'm not sure if I should bring up the possibility of surgery then or wait until I am offered a job or wait until I have an actual date/approval? Has anyone had any experience with this? Or any helpful input? Honestly I care more about surgery than a new job and I have a job now, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity!

-Sarah Jo

poet_kelly
on 9/19/14 12:13 am - OH

I would bring it up when it's so far away.  If it was in the next month or two, that would be different.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Gee
on 9/19/14 12:31 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I wouldn't mention it.  You have at least four months before surgery.  And when the time does come, you just have to say you need surgery - they don't need to know what type of surgery.

But one important thing to consider is insurance - will your coverage change at a new job?  I worked for a company that had great coverage, except for the fact they had a WLS exclusion on their policy.  I was unable to get surgery until my insurance changed.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

smilingsarahjo
on 9/19/14 1:05 am - Middletown, OH

My insurance is through my husbands job so that wont change, thankfully!

Missourimedic
on 9/19/14 2:20 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

I would not say anything. It may sway them about hiring you. They don't need to know it has no barring on anything.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 9/19/14 3:22 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Me personally I would say something. You don't need to tell them what the surgery is for just say it has been in the works for a while. Depending on the law they may be able to get rid of you while you are out. Also what kind of time will use for the recovery? I used all sick time because I had enough but every company is different and being new there I would doubt you have any time in yet. Plus it shows character that you were so upfront with them. Why get a job you could maybe lose soon after?

Valerie G.
on 9/19/14 9:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was recruited by a different department as I was in the middle of the process.  Unlike you, this new opportunity was important to me, so I postponed my plans 6 more months to prove myself to them.  When I was ready, I said I wanted 8 weeks of recovery when I was ready, they didn't hesitate to approve it for me.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jessica1371
on 9/20/14 1:10 pm, edited 9/20/14 1:11 pm - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

I had a job interview on August 19th. On the application I told them I could start on Sept 8th, my surgery was Aug 29th, so that allowed me 9 days post op. During the interview I told them I was having a surgical procedure on the 29th and would be able to start Sept 8th. They were completely ok with it. When they called me 2 days later to offer me the position, she actually asked if I wanted to start later to allow more recovery. I said no I should be fine. Surgery went well, I started on Sept 8 as planned and it went awesome!! I was more than ready to start. It's an accounting job so no lifting needed. They love me and I love it!! In this economy do not pass up any opportunity!!!

It will also depend on how long you plan on taking off, starting a new job and then requesting a chunk of time during a probational period, is not to keen.  

Good luck!!

Jess

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

smilingsarahjo
on 4/2/15 11:06 am - Middletown, OH

Update!

I got the job and postponed surgery until I had enough time off accrued. I didn't mention it in the interview because I didn't want it to jeopardize my job opportunity. I would have waited longer if I had to, but it turns out my new benefits and time off are awesome so everything turned out well!

christinerocks
on 4/2/15 8:13 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Congratulations on the new job! 

Are you sure you will need to postpone your surgery?  Obviously, do what is right for you and your situation but consider continuing and completing your preparation.  Insurance approvals and surgery scheduling often take longer than anticipated so you may have more wait time than you think.  Just a thought... Good luck! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!