Pain after VSG??

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/14 11:19 pm - RIVERDALE, NJ

Hey guys shooting for November for surgeory and my question is what type of pain meds did you take after your vsg?  Im a recovering heroin addict so oppiods are pretty much a no no....thanks!  Also how much pain should I expect?

gram247
on 9/30/14 1:31 am

I took Percoset for a couple of days but it make me nauseated so I stopped. Pain was controlled with extra strength tylenol. I have a high pain tolerance, so I may well not be the norm. But I really didn't have too much pain, it was more like n achy feeling from the gas used to inflate the abdomen for the laproscopic surgery. 

gram247
on 9/30/14 1:32 am

I took Percoset for a couple of days but it make me nauseated so I stopped. Pain was controlled with extra strength tylenol. I have a high pain tolerance, so I may well not be the norm. But I really didn't have too much pain, it was more like n achy feeling from the gas used to inflate the abdomen for the laproscopic surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 1:34 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Hey thanx just praying it wont be to bad!

gram247
on 9/30/14 1:42 am

I wil be praying for you too.

iloveravens
on 9/30/14 2:10 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Let them know you're a recovering addict (my sister is a drug addict).  Can you get something like Tramadol or Tylenol w/codeine?...though I'm not sure if those are no-nos as well.  Good luck to you! 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Racewalker48
on 9/30/14 2:11 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Many surgeons do prescribe narcotic pain relievers after WLS, so you need to be proactive with your surgeon about your particular situation.  Have you told your surgeon that you are a recovering addict?  If you haven't, you need to ASAP so that you and your surgeon can plan for alternative pain relief.  I can't tell you how much pain you will have or should expect, as it is subjective and will vary widely from person to person. Many people have pain enough to need some kind of pain medication.  Some people get by with nothing.  My pain was well controlled in the hospital and I took pain meds for about a week and a half post op, but that was me.  You may experience lots of pain or very little.   Good luck to you.

Tracy D.
on 9/30/14 2:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had two C-sections and the pain of VSG was NOTHING compared to that, barely an inconvenience.  Is it uncomfortable?  Sure, but it was absolutely tolerable without heavy-duty pain medication.   I had my surgery Friday, came home Sunday and didn't have any pain meds once I got home.  I didn't even fill the script for them.   

I had gallbladder surgery in 1999 via laparoscopy...the pain with VSG is similar.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 3:08 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

thanks guys!  Yes my surgeon knows im a recovering addict.  He said after surgery there going to give me narcotics but pain management will depend on how I feel that he will perscribe me a non narcotic but have a narcotic ready if Im really hurting....Im hoping its not toooo tooo bad!

NateH
on 9/30/14 3:01 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I just had my sleeve 4 days ago. I hit the pain pump 2 times and wanted to die of nausea both times. I took liquid tylenol twice and I've been fine. I'd rather be uncomfortable then drugged up. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought; it's not a searing pain that I have it just feels like my insides were all scrambled and swollen. It's pressure and swelling more than cutting and awful. Good luck to you! 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Most Active