What's life like 4-5 years post-op?

betterme2014
on 10/21/14 1:34 am - Canada
I would like to know what life is like for people who have had the RNY and are 4-5 years post-op or so (or even more). I live in Canada. We are blessed to have our surgery paid. The surgeon chooses the surgery you have and majority are RNY not VSG. I would prefer VSG because of absorption issues I have read about but I don't want to waist this opportunity just because I'm hung up on VSG.   I would love to hear about your experiences. I have read so many good things but I want to know the bad too. I really want to know what I am getting into so I can be prepared fully. I am positive and do expect good things but this is a huge decision and I don't want to go through surgery not having all the answers to my thoughts and questions.   I have looked through pages of posts and will keep reading them as well.   Thanks!
MsBatt
on 10/21/14 3:14 am, edited 10/21/14 3:15 am

Do NOT let your surgeon force you to have a surgery you don't want. You are the one who has to live with the consequences of this decision, not him.

I can't tell you anything about life with an RNY, but I can tell you that at nearly 11 years out, life with a DS is wonderful! (*grin*)

White Dove
on 10/21/14 4:02 am - Warren, OH

I am seven years out from RNY and could not be happier.  The first two years I had malabsorption and lost weight and maintained very easily.  At 30 months the malabsorption of calories pretty much went away and I had to be more diligent about maintaining my loss.  But the malabsorption of calories and the resulting quick and easy weight loss gave me a chance to get on an even playing field with people who have never been obese.

Now I watch what I eat, but it is easy because I am never hungry.  I sit down to a normal plate of food and very quickly am too full to eat any more.  One normal meal does me for three or four weight loss surgery sized meals.  My surgeon says I would have done well with VSG, but that was not an option then. 

I do take the recommended vitamins and minerals and I do have labs done yearly.  My surgeon suggests any changes in vitamins based on labs. 

I love the ways my body looks and feels.  I have tons on energy, feel healthy and love wearing size 4 jeans.   It is a big difference from wearing size 22, being always tired, and always worrying about having clothes to try to hide the fat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary M.
on 10/22/14 4:34 am - Coon Rapids, MN

Can I ask where you received information that your malabsorbtion would disappear? I hadn't heard of that happening.

White Dove
on 10/22/14 5:43 am - Warren, OH

Malabsorption goes away because the intestines learn how to absorb calories again.  We always malabsorb vitamins.  I learned that from my surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/21/14 4:09 am - Windsor, Canada

Life is good.  It's definitely work, vigilance and dedication to keep off the weight.  I discovered many years post op that I'm a binge eater and so, I have to fight my fat head many days.  

I'm 8 years out and life is good.  I eat like a fairly regular person.  I am the size of a regular person.  I have done numerous 5ks, five half marathons, have coached numerous sports and enjoy life in the midst of things and not on the sidelines. I've had some issues of course because of the malabsorption but nothing I cannot handle :) 

I just had a tummy tuck! 

Message me anytime - I'm in Ontario :) 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 4:17 am - OH

You're surgeon doesn't consider your preference of what surgery you want?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bonefish
on 10/21/14 12:05 pm

It's not up to the patient here. Our provincial health insurance has strict criteria that set RNY as the gold standard. If you don't meet criteria for sleeve, you don't get it. 

betterme2014
on 10/22/14 4:07 am - Canada

bonefish - do you know what the criteria is for the sleeve?

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

bonefish
on 10/22/14 7:23 am

Not completely, no.  Typically though:

- BMI > 50-60

- certain diseases where meds absorption is key (like people on anti-rejection meds)

- people with a lot of internal scar tissue

Basically OHIP funds it this way because RNY:

- has much more long term data

- has better weight loss and less regain

- has better diabetes resolution and better long-term remission rates

- is not dramatically different for risk-profile

I've overheard surgeons saying that just because a person "feels" one is better or is "freaked out" by RNY doesn't mean they're right (statistically). Not necessarily my opinion, just something I've heard. 

Most Active