Pre-op diet and frustration

jacquis_1966
on 10/21/14 8:34 am

My surgery date is November 3 and I started Optifast this past weekend in preparation.  I'm not much of a sweets person, so this four shakes a day thing is a bit tough to swallow. I look SO forward to the two cups of veggies that I'm allowed that it's not even funny. 

The first couple days were ok. Yesterday was fuzzy headed and just felt really disconnected.  Today I woke up with a migraine. Oh joy :)

The frustration comes in because my main support, my husband, is away in Belgium on business. Six hour time difference and getting to vent to him for about 15 minutes a day does neither of us any good.

I'm just wondering if the pre op phase gets easier over the two week period. And am I total woose for thinking this part is a pain in the arse?

Poodlemac
on 10/21/14 12:47 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Somebody told me day 4 was the hmp day. Sure enough, it was much easier after that!  It will all be worth it.  Keep your eye on the prize!!

kathkeb
on 10/21/14 4:46 pm

For most, it gets easier after 3 or 4 days, as we detox from sugars and caffeine.

As far as your support being unavailable, how about writing your feelings down .... Even if you just vent it out and tear it up ... You might feel better.

It also could help to 'time box' those feelings.  Give yourself a few minutes each day to be pissed, and then 'function in spite of ' it ........ Tomorrow you get to be pissed again for a few minutes.

Hang in there.  This will pass and be a small blip in time a year from now.

Kath

jacquis_1966
on 10/22/14 6:43 am

Thank you for the replies. Today was much better. Not nearly as hungry at work, although I was really jonesing for my jello at 3pm :)

The shakes are still not a favourite, but I'll survive. 

Thanks again for the support, it's greatly appreciated!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/22/14 7:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Are you allowed broth?  

If so, swanson's chicken tortilla broth was a lifesaver for me during the pre-op time.  It was savory and a bit spicy --- giving me the feeling like I'd really had a "meal" -- if you are allowed broth, it may make things more bearable. 

Keep it up.  It's truly worth it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jacquis_1966
on 10/22/14 7:34 am

I'm allowed broth and two cups of specific veggies a day.  I made curried cauliflower with peppers and celery last night and thought I was in heaven.  I'll definitely have a look for the chicken tortilla broth. That sounds extremely tasty.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/22/14 9:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Anytime!!  I remember how it felt -- my two week pre-op was the week of Christmas!!  I felt like I was being tortured.  :-)  

It is SO WORTH IT.  I swear to you.  Keep up the great work.  You've got this!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1516 views