2nd week post op not doing so good.

Bintalshammari
on 11/24/15 12:01 pm

Hi, I live in Saudi Arabia, and John Hopkins hospital had joined forces with Aramco to make an amazing hospital. However my hospital is a 3 hour car ride away. So they pushed me along the process and had me pretty much educate myself. I thought I knew everything. Now two weeks out post op I'm very depressed, crying and regretting my surgery. Everyday I feel weak. I have started to bring in soft foods, they said soft foods after s month but my doctor said 2 weeks. I didn't know about sipping! Will I ever be able to drink normal again!? Every time I eat I get sick! I don't eat a lot, I just generally don't feel happy about my choice. Anyone go through the same thing? Does it get easier? Thanks 

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/15 12:58 pm, edited 11/24/15 6:25 am - CA

I am very sorry you are going through this, but to be honest most of us go through this same thing at some point.   Sometimes we experience post op depression and that compounded with the fact you are feeling weak, possibly fatigued and are unable to eat without being sick, just makes it worse.  

I promise you, many people who have had surgery, go through that "what the heck was I thinking?"   I did, but here I am 14 years post op and do not regret it one bit.   Things will get better for you.  

Here are a few suggestions.  First off, make sure you are getting your protein in.  That will help you heal and help with the feeling of being weak.  Second, try to determine what is causing you to be sick.   Could it be you are eating too much or too fast.  We are still in the learning phase of what works for us at 2 weeks post op, so things like this do happen, but you have to problem solve.    Fluid intake.  At two weeks post op, you should be sipping on your water all day long.   It helps to get your fluids in and will keep you hydrated.  You definitely do not want to become dehydrated.   The only time to not sip is 30 mins prior to eating your soft foods and 30 mins after you have ate.  

Here are a few things that happened to me during my first few weeks post op.  

I wasn't physically hungry, but I had "head hunger"

Drinking water was a challenge.  I had to sip all day and when it was time to eat, I wasn't hungry or I lost interest in eating from being full on water.  

When I ate, I had to find what worked for me.  If I found that I was getting sick on something, I would cut that out and try another option.  I would stick with that for a while.  Needless to say, I didn't always have breakfast for breakfast.    Once I was doing good on a particular food,  I would try something else or maybe retry what originally didn't sit so well.  I was surprised to find that I could normally tolerate that one food by then.    

This is all a trial and error phase of the journey.  You find what works for you and you stick with it and gradually add more as you can tolerate.   It will get better, I promise.  

Since you are so far from your hospital and any support be sure to reach out to any of us here on OH.  There are many of us who are long term post ops and we will be here to answer any questions you might have.   

Nik

Bintalshammari
on 11/25/15 6:10 am

Wow 14 years :) ok you give me some hope, when does the "sipping phase" end, I know I wont be able to intake liquids like before, but the sipping seems so extreme.  I'm going to have to find some good protein, cause the one they gave me I think the name is beneprotein, makes me so sick! Im just waiting as patiently as possible, to eat more than a few spoons full of food.  I have brought in softer foods and creamier soups.  It is I just feel like im blindfolded doing this.  thank you and everyone for the support it means so much!

gracie88
on 11/24/15 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/26/15

Hang in there, it does get better I promise.  I remember feeling the same way.  You will start getting more energy, each day will be a little better.  I'm 3 months post op and I can drink like normal now.  I remember that part really bothering me, I thought how am I ever going to get 64 ounces of fluid in when I can't drink more than an ounce at a time.  At two weeks I was on pureed foods and moved to soft food about 3 or 4 weeks, but everyone has a different program.  If soft is not working, stay with the pureed a little longer.  I had to go back to pureed foods a time or two when starting soft.  Are you able to find a protein supplement that you can tolerate?  That was an issue for me for a while.  Hang in there and good luck!!

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

Bintalshammari
on 11/25/15 6:14 am

thank you so much! It is good to hear I wont be sipping all of my life :) or at least hopefully not!!! The protein I have makes me ill just the sight of it.  My husband is going to go looking for a better protein...the book they gave me said stay on liquids for a month, but my doctor said 2 weeks, and everyone online has said two weeks and introduce foods into my life again....It is so hard not to shove a meal in my mouth,  But I know that is head hunger playing games with me...

MickeyDee
on 11/24/15 6:53 pm

Wow--I can't imagine trying to do this without a support group--you are very brave!

For soft foods, try pureeing foods like soups, etc., also eventually you can begin to eat things like soft-cooked beans, shrimp, tuna, fish, etc.  You will definitely have to try things a little at a time.  Don't rush yourself --this is a marathon, not a sprint.  Remember:  Protein first.

Early out, I had terrible problems with eating eggs--took a lot of time before I tried to eat eggs after my first disastrous attempt!  Eventually I could eat ONE egg, cooked very soft.  

Avoid unrefined carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.  These will not help you.  If you can, go through your cupboards and empty all these things out of it.  I ate one or two slices when I was about 3 weeks post-op and I thought I was having a heart attack!

Focus on staying hydrated;  sip little bits of water all the time.  You don't want to get dehydrated, especially as you are so far away from your hospital.

Can you get some protein powders?  I like the Syntrax Nectar products;  they can be mixed with either water or milk and really raise your protein intake. You can go online and order their sample pack (about 12 or 13 different flavors) and see which ones you like.  

And other than that I strongly recommend reading everything on this site.  Everyone has many of the same experiences and you can learn from their failures and triumphs.  Believe me, you will have triumphs!

Hang in there Kid--it does get better.

Bintalshammari
on 11/25/15 6:04 am

Thank you so much! The hardest part is im a vegetarian, so that ads to all of these problems.  I have been slowly bringing in soft food, mostly ending up in the bathroom after.  As for having a heart attack from carbs, what do you mean? sorry I get scared easy!!! They gave me these proteins when I left the hospital that are horrible, so I will look up the one you said, cause I have seen that posted.  Another problem is my city doesn't have much to offer as far as "sugar free" or diet food... So my husband  this week will travel to get some better options for me.  Im trying to stay positive but its hard, I feel like I will never be able to eat food again, or drink water normally.  The doctors didn't warn me about this "sipping", or much of anything for that matter. So im trying my  hardest thank you so much for the response!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/15 7:55 am

I hope you find peace about this. I understand about the isolation. I'm 2 hours from my doctor, and I live deep in a rainforest in Wa. state in the U.S. 

The water issue you're having is so similar to mine. I can assure you that after you're through this "phase", water will become very prominent in your life. 

I did have regret after my surgery. It sort of fell away as the weight continues to come off. The feelings of regret ore mostly gone now and I'm on day 87 since my RNY. 

light exercise and walking helps me deal with stress and anxiety. This is a great place also.

I know that you can do this! I will always hope for those of us that need help. We're in this together, and if you have a problem, then "we" have a solution.

Bintalshammari
on 11/25/15 9:46 am

I'm glad that you are finding peace, living off the grid in a way makes it really hard. Losing the pounds is great, but at the same time I wish I had more knowledge. Im grateful for these forms. Thanks so much!!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/25/15 9:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Call make an appointment for next week (a one-week post op, a 4-week post op, a 3 month post-op are stand check-ups in the US).   I had friends in Jedda, so I know that a 3 hour trip may take alot longer than 3 hours. Or try to arrange a phone conference with a doctor, or perhaps the nuitritionist or PA would be better - in the US they seem to do more of the post-op care that does not require a 'cutter(surgeon)'.  I am suggesting this because I believe in having insurance, and if you need care in the future, at least you have something set-up.   It won't be forever, just a few weeks. 

Hold on the regrets, they maybe a passing thing because you are not feeling well.  Focus on getting through this phase - it is the worse.  I would suggest that you hold your final judgment until it has been a year post-surgery (or even 6 months), you will have a fuller perspective.  Remember, this was MAJOR surgery.  You would feel like crap even if it was a gall bladder or an appendix operation.  

Did you get a booklet like this link below - I feel it is pretty comprehensive and addresses many concerns. TAKE YOUR VITAMINS.  I used PatchMD.com at first because the chewables made me sick.  I now am on the BariActiv chewables (cheaper). My doctor told me that it might take a few weeks until I was taking in 60-80 gms prot and 64 oz H2O. But to do my best and work up to it.  You want to - it will minimize hair loss, etc.

I found protein shakes that were 35gm prot in 12 oz, so if I could drink 2 a day I was good for prot and had 24 oz of fluid also.  There are several brands, do not buy the ones that are only ~10gm of prot for 8 oz - you will never get your 60 gms prot in.  At the 2-3 week phase, it me hours to drink (sip) a 12 oz can.  I put 2-3 oz in a bottle so it would not evaporate. My go-to soft food was cottage cheese with a dollop of spag sauce, nuked for 30 sec (WLS lasagna!!).  I ate it twice a day and had a prot shake to get my prot and then sipped diet peach snapple the rest of the day.

Can you order diet stuff from the internet?  There are ones based in the UK, to save on shipping time.  In the US, dietdirect.com, and GNC.com, VitaminShoppe.com. and Walmart.com have lots of stuff to try.  (Other people may have their favorites - I am not getting a kick-back, I just have used these.)

Here's one in the UK, but you can might find better.  http://www.hollandandbarrett.com  They seem to have a wide range of products similar to what is available in US.

You will always sip to some extent, but I cheat and take a mouthful and swallow it in smaller swallows over a few minutes.  You sip to allow the fluid to trickle out and not stretch your new pouch.

Internet booklet - as a veggie, you will like their all their bean suggestions.

http://evans.amedd.army.mil/ncd/PDFs/Bariatric%20Booklet.pdf

PS  What surgery did you have?

You are a smart cookie and will get through this, the worst phase.

Sharon

Most Active