DS Revision to RNY Questions

Special_KLJ2
on 2/12/14 7:05 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I had a DS in 8/2010 as a lightweight and lost about 100 lbs, gained back 39.  I have no bowel movements unless I am taking Amitiza.  Went back to doctor to talk about revision as my CC is long (200) and knowing I started out with longer-than-normal intestines.  I am having horrible acid reflux (to the point that every month to a month and a half I lose my voice for up to 3 days) and I have erosion in my esophagus.  My doc wants to revise me to a pouch as he said in the last year they have found out it is better for acid issues.  I researched the DS for years before getting it.  I did not want a RNY but it looks like that is where I am headed.  Anyone have any info or words of advise on going this route? Posted on DS forum, too.

Karen L. Johnson    
Ladytazz
on 2/12/14 1:08 pm

I went from DS to RNY pouch.  My intestines were revised from 100 cc to 200 cc due to problems I had with malabsorption.  I have had no problems with reflux at all since my revision.  I went from daily (at least) PPIs to none at all.

I am fortunate in that I don't have any downside to having a pouch.  I dump but I don't need to eat sugar anyway so that isn't a loss.  I avoid things with gluten and refined carbs but other then that I eat what I want.  I don't drink with meals or 30 minutes after.  It's a pain but it actually helps me eat less since I have to be conscious of when I've eaten and when I want to drink something.  I think if I drank and ate at the same time I would eat a lot more but since I like to drink I put off eating for a while so I can drink coffee or whatever.

Anyway, it is not a common revision but I have heard of several who have had it done.  I have no regrets as long as I am compliant with my eating.  Like any WLS if I don't eat right then I will pay the price, either in side effects or weight gain, or both.  I managed to regain 100 lbs with the DS because I wouldn't change how I ate.  I also had a very large sleeve and never had any restriction to speak of.  Now I have restriction so that makes it a lot easier for me to stick to a better way of eating.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

DrAceves
on 2/15/14 9:11 am - Mexico
I agree with your surgeon's recommendation on revising to  the bypass to solve the acid reflux.   It is important to resolve the reflux problem surgically if you are not having results with medication.  When I  get patients wanting   a sleeve/ DS with GERD or severe reflux I recommend the gastric bypass. You already mention erosion of the esophagus and it can get worse if you continue as you are now. You can do very well with the bypass in regards to weight loss too.   Like with all weight loss surgeries you need to work with  your new tool  to have  long term solutions.    You will have a smaller pouch so losing the lbs you have gained should not be a problem at all. In my opinion converting to a bypass should take care of both issues, reflux and weight regain.     Good luck

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

sherri04
on 2/18/14 12:50 pm

I had a RNY in 2000 and a revision of my pouch in 2011 with my old stomach limb moved down later that same year because of reflux.  I still have reflux that causes bronchitis.  I am currently seeing a 3rd surgeon to hopefully solve my problem.  I feel for you and totally understand how you feel. I wish the best for you and your revision. 

ShebasMom
on 3/13/14 12:14 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had severe GERD before my RNY.  After losing 125 lbs, it has improved, but not cured. Before, I slept with head of bed elevated 45 degrees. Now, it is elevated about 15 degrees. I still have to take PPIs because of acid in my pouch. I'm still trying to lose down to my goal, but it is harder now that the malabsorption is gone.  :(

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

pineview01
on 3/13/14 4:02 am - Davison, MI

This is what make things so hard for us when trying to find what is best for us.  Every surgeon post/says if you have or develop reflux revise/get a RNY. Than we see people with RNY posting they have Acid issues.

I think some of the problems for us is surgeons don't report back complications. Exspecialy with the band.  When you bring a complaint they says the studies don't show that is a real problem.  But, when it is happening to so many???

Than people post over and over, listen to your doctor he knows best.  This should be true but, many only push what they preform and many just know the highlight from associations on like with the band the company infomercials to them.

I hope you get relief and they BEST surgery for your individual situations.  Good Luck

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

nicoletta84
on 4/24/14 12:11 pm

I'm confused . I'm scheduled for a rny to rny revison and it seems like the weight loss is about 15 to 20 pounds only after revison.. I'm wondering if I should cancel. Major surgery to lose 15 pounds. Smh idk

MsBatt
on 4/24/14 12:16 pm
On April 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM Pacific Time, nicoletta84 wrote:

I'm confused . I'm scheduled for a rny to rny revison and it seems like the weight loss is about 15 to 20 pounds only after revison.. I'm wondering if I should cancel. Major surgery to lose 15 pounds. Smh idk

Exactly what sort of revision is your surgeon planning? Be sure you understand precisely what he's going to do before you consent to surgery.

How much more do you need/want to lose? Is losing weight the ONLY reason you're having a revision? No other health issues?

Have you considered getting your RNY revised to a DS? Few surgeons can perform this procedure, but it is THE most effective revision available, period.

Most Active
Recent Topics