Is it true that after RNY revision weight loss is slower?

jelaine5280
on 1/30/16 9:22 pm - Denver, CO

I recently had RNY revision and still in recovery and I've seen several posts about weight loss after revision is 30lbs??? Interesting considering you are basically starting over again. Can someone explain why this is the case? I'm hoping going through this process a second time will get me the same results as my initial surgery. 

Jelaine5280

L. 68
on 1/31/16 7:05 am

Hi Jelaine, 

How much have you lost so far in what amount of time and how much do YOU want to lose (not your doctor)lol..  I think everyone's weight lost is different you got the sleeve?

I would to keep up with your journey.  How do you feel?

rblain

jelaine5280
on 1/31/16 7:22 am - Denver, CO

Hey relying,

I really want to lose 60lbs ideally.  I just had a revision of an a previous RNY. So sleeve was not an option. As far as feeling I'm still really tired but probably because I can't eat that much. But everyday gets better.

Jelaine5280

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/31/16 2:58 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I haven't had a revision but I think the 30lbs weight loss is way off base. Now I have heard that after a revision the weight loss is slower that a "virgin" surgery. Try using the magnifying glass in the upper right hand side & read prior posts about it. I think ultimately how much you lose is up to you. Good Luck & speedy recovery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jelaine5280
on 1/31/16 3:08 pm - Denver, CO

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree it's definitely up to me. I've been on the journey before and was successful for 7 yrs. 

Jelaine5280

L. 68
on 2/1/16 10:52 am

You can do it again Jelaine..

bella.chella
on 2/3/16 11:15 am

Hi Jelaine,

I too am about to have a revision to an RNY.  I've seen a couple of post or even youtube videos of individuals losing less weight or a slower pace when they have a revision surgery.  I plan on asking my surgeon about this before I have my surgery.  I agree with other poster that the amount of weight you lose depends on the effort you put in, but to me it would suck if you are now at a disadvantage since you've had wls in the past.

I'll let you know what my surgeon has to say.

Good luck,

mskay
on 2/5/16 10:40 pm - chicago, IL

My friend had revision surgery and she lost only 25 total which left her at 200 pounds. the surgeon told her she can lose up to 80 pounds. or she may not lose any weight at all...i want to do it but the surgeon im choosing here in Illinois told me i cant get the lap band over my gastric bypass..so im considering the duodenal switch,or just a revision where they fix my pouch back to where it was and go on a strict diet. to help me lose weight back. good luck with your journey

Bchica15
on 2/15/16 11:24 am, edited 2/15/16 5:40 am
with

I had SLEEVE to RNY revision 10/21. I am almost 50lbs lost. I am in line to hit my surgeon goal of 50%EWL 6 Months post op. The goals set are for a virgin patient so I am happy.

jelaine5280
on 2/15/16 11:37 am - Denver, CO

Bchica,

That's awesome! I will hopefully be on that same path too. I am 4 weeks out and down 10lbs. But my NP told me that for some people first 6 weeks may be slower for some and faster for others. I am really trying to lose the weight I gained over a 10 almost 11 yr period which is about 50lbs. But keep up the progress and good luck.

Jelaine5280

Most Active
Recent Topics