11 years out and seeing surgeon, am I too "lightweight" for revision?

ShandrewsCA
on 2/21/17 12:25 pm, edited 2/21/17 4:21 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

Hello, I had gastric bypass RNY in September 2005. My weight the day of my surgery was 263 (highest was 275 but lost a bit pre-op), and my lowest weight was 140 in 2007. I gained and lost the same 20 lbs ever since, but in the last year every time I re-gain I gain a little bit more. I am now up to 180. I feel like I am doing everything right. I follow a great exercise schedule (4 hours a week, combo Zumba & Pilates, some water aerobics and core work), plus I eat like I am supposed to (no more than 1200 cal/day but more like 1000-1100, avoid bad carbs and alcohol, plenty of protein, healthy fats, etc.). I lost a few lbs this last round but honestly I think it was just bloat from avoiding the crap carbs, and now my weight won't budge. 

I have scheduled an appt with my original bariatric surgery center Pacific Bariatrics aka Scripps in San Diego (my surgeon Dr. Tanaka retired so I am seeing Dr. Zorn) to discuss. Is he going to think I'm nuts because technically I have only gained back 40 lbs? My BMI is 34 and I don't have any co-morbidities (other than kidney stones but I don't think those count LOL).

In my research I think I may have a metabolic issue. I do not want to wait until I gave a bunch more weight to nip this in the bud. Any thoughts or ideas out there? TIA :)

Pre-RNY Weight: 280 lbs (09/14/05)

Lowest Post-Op Weight: 140 lbs

Starting Ozempic Weight: 180 lbs (08/26/22)

Week 1 Weight: 174 lbs (09/02/22)

hollykim
on 2/21/17 3:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, ShandrewsCA wrote:

Hello, I had gastric bypass RNY in September 2005. My weight the day of my surgery was 263 (highest was 275 but lost a bit pre-op), and my lowest weight was 140 in 2007. I gained and lost the same 20 lbs ever since, but in the last year every time I re-gain I gain a little bit more. I am now up to 180. I feel like I am doing everything right. I follow a great exercise schedule (4 hours a week, combo Zumba & Pilates, some water aerobics and core work), plus I eat like I am supposed to (1200 cal/day, avoid bad carbs and alcohol, plenty of protein, healthy fats, etc.). I lost a few lbs this last round but honestly I think it was just bloat from avoiding the crap carbs, and now my weight won't budge. 

I have scheduled an appt with my original bariatric surgery center Pacific Bariatrics aka Scripps in San Diego (my surgeon Dr. Tanaka retired so I am seeing Dr. Zorn) to discuss. Is he going to think I'm nuts because technically I have only gained back 40 lbs? My BMI is 34 and I don't have any co-morbidities (other than kidney stones but I don't think those count LOL).

In my research I think I may have a metabolic issue. I do not want to wait until I gave a bunch more weight to nip this in the bud. Any thoughts or ideas out there? TIA :)

I would gain on 1290 calstoo. That amount is maintenance for most of us. 

You are eating ore cals than your body needs, even with exercise, so you gain/maintain. 

ShandrewsCA
on 2/21/17 4:20 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

True, but the 1200 calories is calculated before I exercise and honestly most days it is more like between 1000-1100. According to My Fitness Pal I am burning around 500 cal/hour on Zumba and 300 cal/hour with Pilates, and I am exercising 4 days a week.

hollykim
on 2/21/17 7:02 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2017 at 12:20 AM Pacific Time, ShandrewsCA wrote:

True, but the 1200 calories is calculated before I exercise and honestly most days it is more like between 1000-1100. According to My Fitness Pal I am burning around 500 cal/hour on Zumba and 300 cal/hour with Pilates, and I am exercising 4 days a week.

and still you are gaining. It is simple math, if you eat more than you burn, you gain or maintain. Est more calories than your body needs and you gain, regardless of how much you work out. 

Those " you burned cuz calories" doing this workout are notoriously inaccurate.

you can find out if you are eating too much by dropping your cals to 800 and nearly no carbs for a week or two. If you lose, there is your answrr

hollykim
on 2/21/17 7:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, ShandrewsCA wrote:

Hello, I had gastric bypass RNY in September 2005. My weight the day of my surgery was 263 (highest was 275 but lost a bit pre-op), and my lowest weight was 140 in 2007. I gained and lost the same 20 lbs ever since, but in the last year every time I re-gain I gain a little bit more. I am now up to 180. I feel like I am doing everything right. I follow a great exercise schedule (4 hours a week, combo Zumba & Pilates, some water aerobics and core work), plus I eat like I am supposed to (no more than 1200 cal/day but more like 1000-1100, avoid bad carbs and alcohol, plenty of protein, healthy fats, etc.). I lost a few lbs this last round but honestly I think it was just bloat from avoiding the crap carbs, and now my weight won't budge. 

also, revisions usually aren't approved for weight gain without there being something mechanically wrong with the original surgery

RhondaJS
on 3/16/17 8:15 am

To give you hope, I gained back all my weight from a vsg surgery in 2009 (114 lbs) and I was approved for a ds revision. There is nothing mechanically wrong with my sleeve. I too am very active and have run multiple half marathons and marathons since my surgery. Keep your chin up.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/17 5:52 am

Calories are only estimate on what really happens in our system. 

I can gain weight eating 1000 calories a day, or lose while eating more like 1500-1800 a day. 

For me it is what I eat. 

Fruits, protein shakes, heavily processed foods - are very easily digested (most if them are kind of -predigested) and our body can utilize every bit of them. Plus it is so easy to overdo it. Overeat. A bite here and there can add up.

More complex foods - simple meat and non strachy veggies plus fats require much more energy for our body to process and assimilate...Then get rid of the rest. 

You are what you eat and absorb. 

I had to add fruits to my diet to stop weight loss.  I was losing too much and adding just 1 cup of blueberries of 1/2 grapefruit daily stopped the weight loss. 

I still eat relative high calories.  

You can google "not all calories are equal" and get more info (not really scientific, but common sense) 

Here is one that is rather easy to understand. 

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120626/all-calories-not-cre ated-equal-study-suggests

In addition - if you are constipated ,- and don't have regular BM, the "foods" stay in your system much longer. We have bacteria in our gut that can digest fiber. If you have normal transition of your food through the gut of 12-36 hours, some fiber is going to be use as filler... But if there is enough time for your bacteria to work on that fiber - not only you will get gas, but the "digested" fiber can be turn into absorbable calories. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ShandrewsCA
on 2/22/17 8:41 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. If I try to eat less than a 1000 cal/day, I am so hungry I could eat my own hand especially if I have worked out that day.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/17 8:48 am

again - it may be what you eat - not the calories itself.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ShandrewsCA
on 2/22/17 8:56 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

I get that. I eat B/S chicken, lean meat, steamed veggies, healthy fats, high-fiber cereals, etc. and I avoid alcohol, sodas, and fast food. I'm not really sure what else I can do as I have always been able to lose weight in the past, but in the last couple of years, no, and my weight keeps creeping up. That is why I am so concerned and going to see my surgeon.

Most Active
Recent Topics