bad effects from Carnation Instant Breakfast

Keeves
on 1/4/12 8:38 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I have been mildly lactose intolerant for a long time. I discovered this about 10-15 years ago when I tried SlimFast three times a day. I say "mildly" intolerant, because my first 8 ounces of milk per day is absolutely no problem at all. It's only when I have more than that later on that I am sure to have my LactAid with me.

I had no problem with the protein shakes pre-op, and I made sure to make them with lactose-free skim milk -- which is a LOT easier to get now than 10 years ago! But post-op, I really get revolted by the texture of the protein drinks, so I have hardly had any at all.

I'm now 3 weeks out, and not getting as much protein as I should. A few posters have suggested the No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast, which sounds like a great idea. Here's where it gets weird. On three separate occasions in the past week, I've tried to have a glass of the stuff, but my stomach starts churning and making really disgusting sounds by the time I get to the fourth ounce! And this is even though I made it with lactose-free milk !!!! What's going on?

[[[ ... short interlude while I go read the label on the box in search of clues ... ]]]

The first thing I see is the the very first ingredient in the Instant Breakfast (by the way, it's called "Breakfast Essentials" now) is nonfat milk. I suppose it is possible that that's what's giving me this lactose reaction, but even if I'm more intolerant than I had been before, how much lactose could be in the powder?

But then something tells me to look at the sugar. Eight ounces of this milk has 16 grams of sugar, and there's another 7 grams in the powder. (Apparently, even this "No Sugar Added" version has seven grams of naturally occurring sugar in the nonfat milk ingredient.) That means there's 23 grams of sugar in my glass!

Could I be having a dumping episode?

tamaramagram
on 1/4/12 8:55 am
It is milk based before you ever add any to it.
nfarris79
on 1/4/12 8:57 am - Germantown, MD
 hmmmm.... possibly on the dumping but unless you were also having other symptoms, I would say no. I dump on a certain threshold of naturally occurring sugars (fructose); some fruit doesn't bother me but once I get over that limit, I dump! Like, heart palpitations, weakness, cold/hot sweats, nausea, dizzy, tummy troubles, etc.
So the likelier culprit would be the lactose. I'd been lactose intolerant since childhood and thought it went away postop but it came back, just in a milder form. Gassy, gurgles.... you know the drill! I find the protein powders make with whey isolate give me no problem and I mix them with s/f soy milk for a creamy taste.... sometimes it's really worth the money not to be gassy!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/4/12 9:01 am - OH
How much lactose is in the powder depends on how it was processed.  Many of the more specialized protein powders people here use have had the lactose removed during processing.  I don't understand the process... just know what I read on the labels and in the marketing literature, LOL.

No, the reaction doesn;t sound like dumping.  Dumping involves a whole series of symptoms like shakiness, racing heart, dizziness, nausea, cramping, and often diarrhea,   What you have sounds like something just does not agree with you, and the lactose intolerance issue would be the top suspect.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shellbell75
on 1/4/12 9:02 am
23 grams of sugar in one sitting is a lot. Have you tried a vanilla based protein and adding different flavors to it? I am not sure how much Lactaid is but you can also try making it with Unsweetened Almond milk. When, I was first out I used that b/c after surgery the shakes I made with milk seemed way to thick. You really need to find a protein that works for you, it is so important. Good luck.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

poet_kelly
on 1/4/12 9:16 am - OH
there is lactose in the Carnation.  Even if you use the no sugar added, it has natural sugar in the form of lactose because it is made with milk. 

You need a lactose free protein shake.  Like, one made from whey isolate or soy isolate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/4/12 9:49 am
The sugar in Carnation is from the milk.  Even though you used to be able to drink 8 oz. of milk prior to surgery that may have changed.  I was not lactose intolerant before surgery but I am now.  I can not drink milk.  I can eat cheese and yogurt though.

Winnie

Keeves
on 1/4/12 10:06 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Thanks everybody! Another experimental food going in the trash! (That was an exaggeration - maybe I'll do better with it a few months from now.)

I'm going to have to remember this in the threads about "How to plan ahead for my RNY". I've bought a lot of stuff that ended up disagreeing with me. Fortunately, I'm eating so little nowadays that my grocery bill is still getting smaller, despite these experiments.

Kat Kat
on 1/4/12 3:56 pm - AZ
Hi Keeves,

When looking at the list of ingredients for Breakfast Essentials I noticed that it had no whey protein isolate or soy protein isolate as Kelly said above. This type of protein contains the amino acids we RNYers need. On the bright side, the lactose intolerance might have been a good thing in your case because it forced a change to hopefully a better choice.  www.vitalady.com sells small samples you can try, so that you don't spend a fortune trying to find a brand or flavor that works for you.

Kat

INGREDIENTS FOR BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS
NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, WATER, AND LESS THAN 2% OF COMPLETE MILK PROTEIN, CORN OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL COLOR, DATEM, NATURAL FLAVORS (CONTAINS BARLEY), MALTODEXTRIN, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTASSIUM IODIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), VITAMIN E ACETATE, SUCRALOSE, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE (PANTOTHENIC ACID), COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K), VITAMIN D3, VITAMIN B12.

Sonogrrl
on 1/6/12 8:37 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
I am still in the initial steps moving toward surgery,but I've been trying different foods to set me up for success. Isopure Zero Carb vanilla (they have many flavors) is a great whey protein, LOTS of protein per serving. I mix it in the blender with ice & water if I want it thick or in a shaker with water for thinner consistency. It's a great meal replacement right now as I try to lose the required pre-surgery weight.
They also make a "low-carb" (3 grams I believe) dutch chocolate which is also delish! I order mine from GNC.com, or limited flavors can be purchased locally sometimes. Give it a try!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404