almost 4 days post op

LeslieMJ77
on 4/18/14 8:43 pm

My surgery was on tuesday morning. Doc said everything went well. The nursing staff was wonderful while I was in the hospital. I got sent home on thursday afternoon. Ive been so scared. How do I drink so much fluid? Im supposed to drink 8 glasses of water and 3 protein shakes .... I tried yesterday but failed miserably. How long is the pain supposed to last? Every time I move it feels like my insides are being torn out. Im walking cause I know its important but im annoyed that the pain hasnt decreased yet. Going to try again today at 7am to set a timer for 15 min intervals to get all my protein and water in. 

JJ0609
on 4/18/14 9:27 pm, edited 4/18/14 9:27 pm

Congratulations! Welcome to the Loser's Bench! Setting your timer is great way to be proactive and take control of your situation! It will get you in the habit of sipping throughout the day as that is what you will be doing for the rest of your life to stay hydrated and to get your fluids in. It will get easier later on as you will be able to take bigger sips and drink more at a time. The pain does go away you just have to work through it too. I will pray for you. Keep working at it. You've got this! Your hard work will pay off.  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Mizzy1485
on 4/18/14 10:40 pm

Congrats! Mine is this Monday! I'm getting nervous!! I'm so glad to hear everything went well. Great idea with the timer, all I keep hearing this week is drink, drink, drink lol. I have a question, did they give you anything to take for the pain after you went home? 

LeslieMJ77
on 4/19/14 2:12 am

Yes they called in my pain meds long before I was released so that they would be ready for pick up on my way home. Im starting to phase off of the pain meds. Im still in a ton of pain but the meds make me sleepy. As for the protein shakes I have specific times to eat/drink the shakes. And an oz every 15 min will take me 2 hours to drink the shakes. Today is a new day and I am going to try to stay with it today. Good luck on your surgery. 

Manny32
on 4/19/14 11:33 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

wow you already drinking protein shakes? lucky you  my NUT made me wait 1 week just to take in protein shakes lol , im glad your surgery went well and like other ppl have said the pain goes away soon and also you can take bigger sip in the long road.

dragonlove
on 4/19/14 12:13 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Further proof that there is a huge variance on plans after surgery!  I had surgery on Wed, went home Thurs and was told to have my first shake on Friday!  Just sip, sip, sip, sip constantly.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Manny32
on 4/19/14 11:42 pm - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

so true.

katekeeler
on 4/19/14 12:48 am - Canada

I had surgery Wednesday. Went home yesterday. Pharmacy didnt have the prescribed pain meds. By 1am, I burst into tears and hubby drove me to local ER to get pain meds. Pain now being managed. 

It has been quite the brain teaser to figure out what to take when, and which medecine/vitamin tablets need to be crushed or chewed or dissolved. I am keeping a journal as I figure things out. 

My guidelines say that, at this point, I drink only half a cup of protein drink per meal (at a rate of 2 tablespoons every 15 minutes). Perhaps you aren't supposed to drink the entire protein drink?

Get something for the pain. 

Good luck!

Nova B.
on 4/19/14 2:42 am - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14

I also had surgery on Tuesday morning and came home on Thursday afternoon!  Im sorry you are having problems getting everything in.  3 protein shakes a day on top of your water?  No way I could do that much.  im only just starting on protein shakes today and im splitting one up over the entire day to start. 

Did the hospital send home any of those little one ounce cups with you?  I have found using those makes it easier.  I set up 10 at a time until I get in 50 for the day. 

JJ0609
on 4/19/14 6:08 am, edited 4/19/14 6:08 am

Leslie, Kate, and Nova: WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! Remember to walk and sip as much as you possibly can and then do it some more. LOL! You can do it! If you need anything ask! WE ARE HERE FOR YOU ALL!  

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views