Surgery rescheduled-not meeting my preop goals :(

Ladybug81
on 4/23/14 4:50 pm

I am so sad and frustrated. I was supposed to have my surgery next Tuesday and I was so looking forward to it. However I have not met my surgeon's weight loss requirements so he has postponed me for a month. I have to lose 15 lbs and I am so sad and frustrated, I just feel defeated. I have totally cut out a lot of bad habits including drinking sweet tea and orange juice and eating out. I have been craving and wanting things that I would normally give in to but I have stayed strong but I am gaining not losing! I went to the gym today and I am going to try to do some meal replacements. My husband says I am self sabotaging because I am not mentally ready to give up food, and I have admittedly struggled with not wanting to let go, especially of my sweets. I haven't noticed myself eating more, I feel like I've been eating way less. I don't know if its from skipping meals or what. I'm just so frustrated and angry at myself and angry at my doctor. I am also embarrassed.

poet_kelly
on 4/23/14 8:17 pm - OH

So it sounds like you're not sure if you're eating less or not.  You're basing it on a feeling?  Why not track your food intake for a few days, at least, to find out how many calories you're eating.

Are you working with a registered dietician?  If not, I suggested making an appointment with one.  He or she can help you with a meal plan that will help you lose the weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JJ0609
on 4/23/14 8:28 pm, edited 4/23/14 9:36 pm

How many calories does he have you on while you are losing? How much water and protein are taking in daily? Are you tracking everything that goes into your mouth? You need to do so if not. You can do this!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Laura in Texas
on 4/23/14 8:44 pm

I agree with Kelly. Track every bite of food that enters your mouth. Get out the measuring cups and food scale. Stop sabotaging yourself.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

selhard
on 4/23/14 8:49 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Somebody once said, "you haven't failed, you just haven't succeeded yet."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/23/14 9:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

First, I'm sorry for your disappointment. I agree with others about tracking what you eat. This has been vital to me for many reasons: 1st, it has helped me to see that I wasn't very good at judging the amount I was eating. 2nd, it has taught me to be honest with myself about my food.  I put everything down -- even vitamins!  Everything.  

I use my fitness pal on my iPhone and the computer.  If you use that -- I'm noelscat on there. Friend me on there and I'll be glad to support you my friend. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

diamondsparkle08
on 4/23/14 9:52 pm - Charlotte, NC

Hello I just read your post and want to try and help direct you in a more positive direction. Okay the surgery was post-poned because your doctor needs you to lose and additional 15 pounds. First things first get out of the traditional mindset of weight loss. In your case the only thing you need to be doing is reducing your caloric intake. Meaning eating less than your reccomended daily calorie requirements. Exercising heavily will only cause you to gain muscle mass that will make it appear you are still gaining weight. Do not starve your body or it will turn against you and hold on to the weight. Try this trick eat sensibly but only eat half of whatever it is youre eating say your sweets or your fast food orders. At this stage in the game you can not afford the luxury of negative influences or self defeating thoughts. I understand people may mean well but this is the time for you to block out the external and go deep inside to the core of your being and listen to your own feelings and thoughts. Honestly I was not one hundred percent ready to give up food or my candy but thats the beauty of the journey. Your addictions and cravings will be addressed in each step along the way. Be gentle with yourself and pray for guidance and strength. I am not a doctor just a survivor.

**Your OH family is waiting for you on the losers bench*** 

if you want to know the truth I'm in LOVE with MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poet_kelly
on 4/23/14 9:58 pm - OH

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.  You're not advising her to just eat half of the sweets or fast food, are you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 4/23/14 11:49 pm

I know it's hard, but try to be glad.  If your surgeon doesn't think you are ready it's better to wait I promise. 

Once the surgery is done it can't be un-done.  He's seeing a red flag.  These guys make their living off of the surgeries so it must be pretty important to him that you comply (he is putting off his income).

Don't know what the issue is, but Kelly and Laura have good ideas.  Track everything.  You can then take your food journal in to your next appt with the surgeon and he may spot the issue. At the very least he'll see you are comitted (sp?) to doing things right.  Do you have a WLS psych  you can see in the meantime?  That may  help too.  And it's more documentation that you're really, really trying.

Sorry - I know it must be disappointing.  But better to handle this preop than postop.  Hang in there.  Show him how determined  you are.  You're gonna make it.  And when you look back you may thank him.

good luck,

amy

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/24/14 12:11 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to add -- losing weight before surgery also makes it safer.  It reduces the size of the liver. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views